Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't i move a file over 4.3GB off of the internal storage or between external storage?

Moving the smaller output files from my gopro between my SD, internal, and exFAT-formatted SSD works fine, but once i compile a video into anything over that 4.3GB limit it refuses to copy the whole file to a new destination.

None of my drives have a problem with the archaic file size limit, and it's not just limited to video files since compressed zip files which pass that limit also corrupt when transferred.

This is a HUGE problem for video editors; if i record a 90 second video on my Fuji at max bitrate it surpasses that limit and requires a very convoluted workaround to get it off of the camera!

I've tried looking up this problem all over the internet and can't find any mention of it, but i can't imagine it's just me.

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 3:42 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 28, 2019 5:30 PM in response to GameCubits

Hello,

While most sources claim that FAT formats work with iPadOS, I have found that they do not work as well as they could. For instances, exFAT only supports read only when formated from a Macintosh. FAT32 on supports files under 3 GB in size and only works when formated on a Macintosh. For all its worth I would not consider them as “supported” as most people are not able to get exFAT or FAT32 to show up in Files. It is a bug that I am sure Apple is aware of. In the meantime the only formats that have the highest success rate of working is HFS+ and APFS. You are welcome to share your feedback with Apple using the following link.

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 28, 2019 5:25 PM in response to QuickPost

What do you mean FAT32 and exFAT aren't supported? They're what 100% of cameras use, they obviously show up in the file manager in ipadOS, and the list you've posted, in that particular formatting, has been posted elsewhere with "YES Read and Write".

Where are you getting that information from? Do you know something no one else knows, and is the format support conditional somehow?

Obviously it's impossible to format the SD cards from the camera in APFS or macOS.

Why can't i move a file over 4.3GB off of the internal storage or between external storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.