Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Export repeatedly failing

Hello everyone!

Im having some trouble with iMovie with a project that's very important to me, and I have been reading through the Apple Community posts and cannot find a problem similar to mine. Hopefully, someone can help me.

I have a MacBook Pro with 121.02GB (according to the storage tab in "About this Mac"

Im using iMovie v 10.1.14 (no option to update it in the App Store)

I am editing a video on iMovie that was shot in 2.7K. Because it was shot in 2.7K, the footage is 68GB (ouch. first timer mistake!) Side question - is there a way to compress this footage without losing too much quality?

I have a 1TB Seagate Hard Drive where I back up all the nonsense footage plus the final edited video. My process is to copy the footage from the hard drive to the MacBook, import to iMovie, edit it, and export the final edited video out to the hard drive. This has worked numerous times in the past. While I was editing the video this time, I ran out of space to the point where there was no more "operating space" so I had to choose between safari and iMovie, etc. Because I was running out of space, I completed a successful iMovie Library transfer from the MacBook to the Seagate. I know its successful because I was able to continually edit the rest of the video and exported the video twice (once in 720p and once in 520p) for me and my team to quality check info.

However, after I put in the edits from my team, the movie is repeatedly saying "Failed to export" and when I click details it just says "Failed to export" again. There is no extra information. I do not believe it to be the Compressor Kit error message.

A weird thing is that when I exported it successfully as a 720p and 520p video, it worked fine and I was able to watch it. However, when I am now exporting in 1080p or 4K, it shows up as a 0KB file in the finder. When I click that 0KB file after it exports for an hour, it says "file is not supported by the QuickTime player" meaning I cannot play it. This happens if its in MP4 and MOV. I understand 4K is not 2.7K but its worked in the past so I don't believe this is the reason why my project won't export, plus its still happening when I export as 1080p. This did not happen when it was exported in 720p or 520p the first two times.

Solutions I have done:

1. Deleting preferences in iMovie
  2. Skimming through the project to check for lapses and white flashes
  3. Exporting in High Quality (MP4) and ProRes (MOV)
  4. Opening the hard drive in a different MacBook Pro (same model and everything)

When I did the last solution, all the files inside of the project show up as "Plugin Missing" and have question marks. When I try putting the footage from the hard drive into the iMovie project on the new project, it says "the library has been closed" but the hard drive is still plugged in and being read by the second MacBook.

However, if I bring the hard drive back to the original MacBook, the project loads up perfectly inside the movie library from the hard drive. I can play it and enjoy it! I just want other people to enjoy it too and I don't know what to do.

My current solution is trying to upload the video to YouTube as private and then downloading it. Its currently uploading and will take another 45m. I don't know if this solution will work.

ANY help is appreciated. I am so sorry for the convoluted mess I have created hahaha!

MacBook

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 1:23 PM

I FOUND THE ANSWER!

After plugging in my hard drive on a second MacBook and trying to upload the same footage that had "plugin missing", it automatically removed the hard drive and closed iMovie.

However, when I brought the hard drive back to my original MacBook, all of the missing iMovie items (every green screen, overlay, and original footage) was in the trash. I highlighted every item in the trash and dragged it over to the iMovie library in my hard drive.

I exported the file at 720p in medium quality as this was the exact specifications the last time it worked. I waited it out until it successfully exported and it gave me the notification "exporting 'your movie' was successful". When I opened the file, it worked!

I exported the file at 1080p in high quality, it worked!

I exported the file at 4K in high quality, it worked!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 1:23 PM in response to Rich839

I FOUND THE ANSWER!

After plugging in my hard drive on a second MacBook and trying to upload the same footage that had "plugin missing", it automatically removed the hard drive and closed iMovie.

However, when I brought the hard drive back to my original MacBook, all of the missing iMovie items (every green screen, overlay, and original footage) was in the trash. I highlighted every item in the trash and dragged it over to the iMovie library in my hard drive.

I exported the file at 720p in medium quality as this was the exact specifications the last time it worked. I waited it out until it successfully exported and it gave me the notification "exporting 'your movie' was successful". When I opened the file, it worked!

I exported the file at 1080p in high quality, it worked!

I exported the file at 4K in high quality, it worked!

Aug 9, 2020 12:11 PM in response to indy148

Yes, it is a bit difficult to sort all that out without having access to your computer.

First, iMovie does not support 2.7k video. That might be the root of your problem.

Secondly, is your Seagate drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? If not, it should be. Reformatting would erase all data on the drive, so back up first if you need to reformat.

Thirdly, your 0kb file that you are trying to open indicates either that the export has failed or it has not yet completed. When a file is exported it will reside in a temporary file, that is not playable, until the export is completed. Then it will convert to a playable file. You might try waiting a while to give the export time to complete.

Fourthly, reducing file size can be accomplished by lowering resolution (that you have done), or choosing a more compressed option from the share out box. Exporting at pro res will do just the opposite, yielding a file 4x the size.

Finally, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

iMovie Export repeatedly failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.