Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie exports 0kb file

Hi all,

So I've made a movie in iMovie, but every time I try to export (share) it to my desktop/documents, the pop-up shows that it's not compatible with Quicktime Player. I've tried to open it with VLC as well, but didn't work as well.

It also shows that it's an empty file (0kb).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I already tried to make a new project by copying all the footage and audio and pasting it into a new project. Same thing happend unfortunately.

I also tried changing the resolution to a lower one, but that didn't do anything either.

The file is only 2gb and I have plenty of storage left on my macbook.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 9:02 AM

Possibly are you not waiting for the export to complete. When you share out a project to a movie file a temporary file (or maybe two files) of zero size will be deposited on your desktop to aid iMovie in rendering the video. After the rendering is completed the temporary files will disappear and be replaced by the full sized rendered movie. Sometimes the temporary files will remain for a short period of time before disappearing. If you try to open them they will show no file size. Just wondering if that may be your situation. If not, read on below.

Since deleting preferences did not help, try redownloading iMovie. To redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

If still no success with importing, try the following procedures:

Safe Mode

Try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM, although this issue would be fairly rare:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Contact Apple Support

If none of the above resolve your issue, contact Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 9:02 AM in response to Sarah Tan

Possibly are you not waiting for the export to complete. When you share out a project to a movie file a temporary file (or maybe two files) of zero size will be deposited on your desktop to aid iMovie in rendering the video. After the rendering is completed the temporary files will disappear and be replaced by the full sized rendered movie. Sometimes the temporary files will remain for a short period of time before disappearing. If you try to open them they will show no file size. Just wondering if that may be your situation. If not, read on below.

Since deleting preferences did not help, try redownloading iMovie. To redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

If still no success with importing, try the following procedures:

Safe Mode

Try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM, although this issue would be fairly rare:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Contact Apple Support

If none of the above resolve your issue, contact Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

Mar 17, 2022 9:45 AM in response to Sarah Tan

Try deleting/resetting the iMovie preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

iMovie exports 0kb file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.