Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.4 will not export any projects (and other issues)

I am using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Last week I had updated iTunes (12.8) for reasons completely unrelated to iMovie. And I had deleted a few project files normally just to clear some space. But strangely now I suddenly finding that I am unable to export any project, in any format, to any location other than Theater.

The process fails like this: the window pops over for me to fill in export settings, I save the file, the thumbnail moves to the upper right corner of the iMovie window - and disappears. There is no progress ring that shows up like usual. (The progress ring does still show up when I import media however.)

I noticed a lot of people have had similar problems before and I tried their various solutions:

• Rebooting my computer in safe mode and then rebooting again did not work.
  • Based on an error message I got by uploading to Theater, "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKitErrorDomain error -1.)": Opening the iMovie package contents and rearranging and replacing the Compressor did not work.
  • Option-Command clicking to run iMovie and clear my preferences did not work, and it also told me to update all my libraries, which removed every single project and event I have added after, like, 2013 and replaced them with projects and events from that year and earlier.
  • The only possible solution I have not tried is reinstalling iMovie and given how distraught I was at losing all my iMovie media from the past 7 years I'm not ready to try that.

I have no intention of upgrading macOS cause I have exported hundreds of videos over the past few months without fail on High Sierra. I have been comfortable where I am now. But something seems to be breaking down.

I tried to just upgrade iMovie alone but that hangs too. Heck, I couldn't even login to this community via Safari because it "couldn't establish a secure connection to idmsa.apple.com".

Can anybody help me figure out how to fix this? How can I export projects in iMovie again? How can I get my project data back? Is there anything else that's immediately apparently wrong with my OS?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 3:08 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 25, 2020 8:44 AM in response to iBanana

Hi, iBanana,

The updating of iTunes might have triggered a CompressorKit:Error issue or something

related to it. Take a look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

It seems that updating iTunes may cause iMovie to exhibit the a CompressorKit:Error

by implanting a 64bit architecture in the system library, that conflicts with an older version of

iMovie. That would explain why upgrading to 64bit Catalina and current version

of iMovie has solved it for some posters here. 

Upgrading to Catalina, however, would disable all older 32bit

applications that would be no longer supported. Some legacy media may not play

in iMovie, either, and would need to be converted.

Here's a link, though older, that describes what others have tried with the

Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for

you.

Redownloading iMovie should not cause any problem. To update/redownload

iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash,

but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by

clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see

your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from

there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to

the Applications folder.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support. The techs there are very savvy

and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the

Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate

to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support

can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac

OS/Applications/iMovie.

Good luck with this.

If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who

have this perplexing issue.

-- Rich

iMovie 10.1.4 will not export any projects (and other issues)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.