Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie will not export and is on the struggle bus it just quits

Hello, I am doing video lessons for elementary students on zoom and importing them to imovie to edit and then post on google classroom. I have had trouble with exporting so yesterday I tried a few things. First I deleted imovie from my computer. Then, I downloaded catalina, and finally I downloaded imovie. Well, I made a 16 minute video and it imported fine to imovie and I was able to edit it. It would not export though, only a few seconds would export. I have 52.85 GB available of 121.GB. I am afraid I may have deleted an application or something that is needed for exporting videos. I keep getting the error 50 occurred when exporting to movie file on computer. I tried using different version of lesser quality and that still only got a few seconds downloaded of a 16 minute video. I do have an older mac air, 2013 but I did check and it was approved for the catalina download and I did delete a bunch of stuff to make room for it too. I also purchased a san disc to download my imovies too but Imovie does not give me a choice for that for downloading. My imovie seems all wonkie too, I cannot find download to theater or even find theater now. SOS please.

Help please my students need support!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 9:15 AM

Error 50 is a rendering error that indicates that there is some corruption in the project or one of the clips in it. Try opening your iMovie project and then expand your timeline full out using the slider next to the settings button above the timeline to the right of your screen. Then put your cursor at the beginning of the movie in the timeline and slowly scroll through the timeline. You can use the left and right arrows at the lower right hand corner of your keyboard for this purpose. Look for white flashes, black frames, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and then try again to export.

You might want first to duplicate your project and work with the duplicate if you want to preserve your original project. You can make a duplicate by opening the project browser screen (the one that displays your projects as icons) and then move your cursor over the project's title. A little circle with dots in it will appear next to the title. Click on the circle and you will get a drop down menu that gives you a Duplicate Project option. You can make as many duplicates as you want.

Other ways of tracking down corruption in a project is to work with duplicates and export half the project to see if you get a successful export. If you do then you know that the corruption is in the other half. Then go back to another duplicate and export half of the other half that contains the corruption. Repeat until you track it down.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 9:15 AM in response to notyetmindset

Error 50 is a rendering error that indicates that there is some corruption in the project or one of the clips in it. Try opening your iMovie project and then expand your timeline full out using the slider next to the settings button above the timeline to the right of your screen. Then put your cursor at the beginning of the movie in the timeline and slowly scroll through the timeline. You can use the left and right arrows at the lower right hand corner of your keyboard for this purpose. Look for white flashes, black frames, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and then try again to export.

You might want first to duplicate your project and work with the duplicate if you want to preserve your original project. You can make a duplicate by opening the project browser screen (the one that displays your projects as icons) and then move your cursor over the project's title. A little circle with dots in it will appear next to the title. Click on the circle and you will get a drop down menu that gives you a Duplicate Project option. You can make as many duplicates as you want.

Other ways of tracking down corruption in a project is to work with duplicates and export half the project to see if you get a successful export. If you do then you know that the corruption is in the other half. Then go back to another duplicate and export half of the other half that contains the corruption. Repeat until you track it down.

-- Rich

imovie will not export and is on the struggle bus it just quits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.