Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Ipad

Why has only my recent music purchases from ITunes transferred over - I have lost all the other music I had on my old Ipad - do I have to sync it with ITunes to get everything that was on the old one?

iPad Air 2, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 4:25 AM

Any music content transferred from your PC/Mac, using iTunes, must be reloaded from your computer. This content is not backed-up to iCloud - or transferred to a new device when migrating data from old to new. Only content purchased within the Apple Music App is transferred during migration - as its “purchase” is effectively within the Apple ecosystem.

The reason that content originating from your computer is not transferred is, in simple terms, due to the way that Apple manages “DRM” (i.e., Digital Rights Management). Anything that you buy Apple Music and downloaded to your device is “tagged” in metadata with your ID (this ensures that the “music police” can trace you if you attempt to distribute copyright content). By contrast, material copied from your computer uses a different mechanism to enforce DRM controls; any material copied to your device, using iTunes on your computer, cannot be transferred off your iPad - period.

Hope this explanation helps to explain the what-and-why.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 4:25 AM in response to Lesley193cat

Any music content transferred from your PC/Mac, using iTunes, must be reloaded from your computer. This content is not backed-up to iCloud - or transferred to a new device when migrating data from old to new. Only content purchased within the Apple Music App is transferred during migration - as its “purchase” is effectively within the Apple ecosystem.

The reason that content originating from your computer is not transferred is, in simple terms, due to the way that Apple manages “DRM” (i.e., Digital Rights Management). Anything that you buy Apple Music and downloaded to your device is “tagged” in metadata with your ID (this ensures that the “music police” can trace you if you attempt to distribute copyright content). By contrast, material copied from your computer uses a different mechanism to enforce DRM controls; any material copied to your device, using iTunes on your computer, cannot be transferred off your iPad - period.

Hope this explanation helps to explain the what-and-why.

New Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.