Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need an iphone to use fall detection on the Apple Watch?

Do I need an iphone to use fall detection on the Apple Watch? My father does not use a smartphone (can't) but I'd like to use the Apple Watch to detect any falls.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 2:59 PM

The Apple Watch requires an iPhone to setup and use. The Apple Watch is not a standalone device in any way.

If you were to set it up with your iPhone, it will get all calls and messages from your iPhone.

Also if its not near the paired iPhone, and its not connected to Wifi or cellular when the fall happens, it may detect it, but it will not be able to notify anybody or call emergency services.

Also, if paired to your iPhone, you will not be able to call it from your iPhone, as it would be essentially calling yourself.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 2:59 PM in response to KevGahanna

The Apple Watch requires an iPhone to setup and use. The Apple Watch is not a standalone device in any way.

If you were to set it up with your iPhone, it will get all calls and messages from your iPhone.

Also if its not near the paired iPhone, and its not connected to Wifi or cellular when the fall happens, it may detect it, but it will not be able to notify anybody or call emergency services.

Also, if paired to your iPhone, you will not be able to call it from your iPhone, as it would be essentially calling yourself.

Do I need an iphone to use fall detection on the Apple Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.