Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I upgrade my 32 bit Iphoto app to 64

I just upgraded to the IOS catalina software, and it won't support the 32 bit Iphoto app.

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 12:58 PM

If you look at the Legacy Software section in System Information, it shows two 32-bit framework components of iPhoto v9.6.1 which will be show stoppers on Catalina. This is a direct contradiction to it being a 64-bit application as shown in Applications.

11 replies

Oct 30, 2019 8:14 AM in response to steve626

Thanks for that steve626 -- I had deleted iPhoto a couple years ago and thought it was no longer viable with Catalina. However the article Switch to Photos from iPhoto on Mac - Apple Support

shows Catalina near the top and also states:

If you previously had iPhoto on your Mac, it’s still on your Mac. You can open it from Launchpad or from the Applications folder in the Finder. However, it’s strongly recommended that you use Photos instead of iPhoto.

Oct 29, 2019 8:35 PM in response to BobHarris

If update your iPhoto to the latest version, that version is 64-bit.

That said, the newer program Photos that Apple supplies with its OS is faster and less buggy than iPhoto. Photos can open existing iPhoto libraries so you can simply continue with Photos.

However if you really wish to stay with iPhoto, you can update it from the App Store to the 64-bit version.

Oct 30, 2019 4:28 PM in response to steve626

Well you can dream on about iPhoto elements. Not a product. It is iPhoto.

See. A 32-bit component in an application that macOS 10.14.6 (18G103) has marked 64-bit.

The iPhoto application was retired by Apple when Yosemite 10.10.3 was released in early 2015 with the first Photos application.

Here is what Catalina 10.15.1 thinks of iPhoto v9.6.1 as an application:

how do I upgrade my 32 bit Iphoto app to 64

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.