Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: 10.15.1 Update - Bluetooth not available

After updating to Catalina 10.15.1, bluetooth is not available on my Mac Mini (2018). This prevents me from using a wireless keyboard or my AirPods with the Mac. The icon says "Bluetooth: Not available". I've done an SMC reset, deleted /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and reset NVRAM/PRAM. Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:34 PM

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 31, 2019 2:40 PM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

Update: I spoke to Apple support this morning who indicated that engineering recommends bringing the Mac in for service. It seems as though the update has damaged the bluetooth module and even after multiple O/S re-installs, it still doesn't work.

Oct 31, 2019 2:40 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 31, 2019 7:49 AM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

I am having this same issue. I called Apple Support this morning after doing an SMC Reset and even a full clean reinstall and still have the same issue. I am having to take the mac mini in to the Apple Store for repair. They state it could be a hardware issue but seems odd it would be a hardware issue after a software update. Will update...

Oct 31, 2019 7:49 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 31, 2019 2:40 PM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

Update: I spoke to Apple support this morning who indicated that engineering recommends bringing the Mac in for service. It seems as though the update has damaged the bluetooth module and even after multiple O/S re-installs, it still doesn't work.

Oct 31, 2019 2:40 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Nov 12, 2019 9:15 PM in response to PrestonG In response to PrestonG

Any update on a resolution PrestonG? I updated to 10.15.1 last week and lost Bluetooth ("Bluetooth: Not Available" on menu & "No Information Found" in System Report). I have tried everything except reinstalling the OS. I have a MBP 2018 and is < 1 month out of warranty.

Nov 12, 2019 9:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 13, 2019 4:20 AM in response to BobMcScratchit In response to BobMcScratchit

I ended up taking my Mac Mini into the Apple Store and they originally said it was a failed logic board and ordered a replacement for that. After they swapped out the logic board it still didn’t pass their tests so they told me they were going to order a new power supply and try that. I haven’t heard anything since last week, still waiting to get my machine back. Still find it off that all the “hardware” issues began right after I ran a software update.

Nov 13, 2019 4:20 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2019 9:58 PM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

I also need to echo the same concerns.

I have a 2018 Mac mini as well. After the 10.15.1 update, I get "Bluetooth: Not Available" and no hardware shows in System Report.

I have tried:

• SMC Reset
  • NVRAM Reset
  • Full Catalina Reinstall
  • Delete all Bluetooth-related .plist files
  • Unplugging EVERYTHING and leaving it off for several hours
  • Ran the internal diagnostics (D-key boot up). No problems found.

My inclination is that a firmware update in 10.15.1 has bricked the Bluetooth controller, and perhaps even those who have had their logic board replaced have the same result occurring when Catalina boots back up. Power supply problems? Highly, highly improbable.

This really does seem like a recent update that could possibly be bricking perhaps a certain batch hardware. Not good.

For those with similar problems, I got my Mac mini in December of last year. It's the 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7 with a 1TB SSD. I have upgraded the RAM after the fact.

All that's left to try for me is roll back to an older backup... This seems like a nasty problem if it is what it sounds like.

One would hope they'd jump on this quick and perhaps fix it with a subsequent update, but this feels to me like the kind of thing Apple gets dodgy about and denies until there's some uproar. I would suggest everyone with the problem contact Apple ASAP.

Has anyone else in this thread with this problem found resolution yet?

Nov 17, 2019 9:58 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Nov 18, 2019 7:16 AM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

I have a mid-2015 macbook pro. Bluetooth connected to headphones (not Apple) but not keyboard. Keyboard is by Perixx, not Apple. Could that matter? I'm using USB keyboard to write this, so all USB works. I tried all the suggestions, nothing gets the bluetooth keyboard working. What?

Nov 18, 2019 7:16 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 22, 2019 3:54 AM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

Can't add a fix I'm afraid but experiencing same issue Mac Pro 2.3 2017 immediately after install of Catalina. Harware report says no information found. Done all the suggested fixes, none work. Clearly an update issue and it needs to be fixed, cannot use my headphones at all.

Nov 22, 2019 3:54 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 23, 2019 4:03 PM in response to willmcc In response to willmcc

Just dropped mine off at the Apple store. Tech tried everything - including a DFU iBridge restore (which failed twice).

Other forums have mentioned that this is a corrupt firmware issue. Apple tech could not find any hardware issues, but Bluetooth didn’t even show up on the hardware test.

They now say they’re doing a “deep dive” which will take 3-5 days. Concerning.

Nov 23, 2019 4:03 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 24, 2019 10:54 AM in response to tcp100 In response to tcp100

Apple tech could not find any hardware issues, but Bluetooth didn’t even show up on the hardware test.

This is my exact issue. All tests/diagnostics show nothing is wrong with the hardware. It is as if the Bluetooth module was completely removed from the MBP.

Please let us know what is found with the "deep dive".

Nov 24, 2019 10:54 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 26, 2019 1:46 PM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

I had this issue on my iMac with Mojave, and now I still have the issue with Catalina. It's been doing this for a few months now. It works most of the time, and then it stops and I have to plug in a wired mouse and connect my Magic keyboard via Lightening and then try various things to get it working again. I need to write down all the things I try, but I've researched this and have tried pretty much everything people here are saying.

Today to get it working, I did an SMC reset and when it came back up Bluetooth was "available" and I just had to click the Bluetooth icon to turn it on again after reboot. The magic Mouse connected on its own and started working then, but not the Magic keyboard. I had to plug the keyboard in and then I was able to make the "Connect" option for it in the Bluetooth pulldown work. It would not connect without being plugged in first.

I'll start keeping a detailed log about what I do to make it work (temporarily at least), and if I learn anything I'll post it here.

Nov 26, 2019 1:46 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 27, 2019 8:43 AM in response to sf_gil In response to sf_gil

Same issue, Bluetooth Hardware seems not to be available since Catalina 10.15.1 update (also if I check through System Report it indicates 'No bluetooth hardware available'). Tried restarts + deleting plist files.

One weird thing: I can still control my mouse pointer through my separate Apple Trackpad, which also works through Bluetooth, although it only supports movement and clicking, no gestures. It does not show anywhere as connected device though.

Nov 27, 2019 8:43 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: sf_gil

Question: 10.15.1 Update - Bluetooth not available