Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.15.1 Update - Bluetooth not available

After updating to Catalina 10.15.1, bluetooth is not available on my Mac Mini (2018). This prevents me from using a wireless keyboard or my AirPods with the Mac. The icon says "Bluetooth: Not available". I've done an SMC reset, deleted /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and reset NVRAM/PRAM. Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:34 PM

48 replies

May 27, 2020 7:47 PM in response to Kipper 2

Bluetooth was crashing with increasing regularity and would no longer connect to devices, so I decided to upgrade to Catalina before I found this thread (hindsight: whoops). Bluetooth flatlined post upgrade from 10.14 Mojave to 10.15.4 Catalina. Upgraded to 10.15.5 hoping to resolve, but no dice. Tried a handful of other things over the past few days until I discovered this thread:

• Reset SMC
  • Cleared plist files
  • Managing bluetooth IO via blueutil or launchctl manually
  • Shift+option click bluetooth to debug and reset
  • Reset PRAM/NVRAM

Poking around a bit more, it looks like as I had a system admin user set up for me on a work provided machine, I have two ~/Library directories - one at a global system level, and one under ~/{User}/Library. I had been deleting the plist files at the global level assuming they would be system wide, but I had to navigate to both Library/Preferences folders and remove the bluetooth plist files - and the User/Library/Preferences/ByHost plist file. No change.

Running etrecheck - it looks like on upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.4 two things were installed:

XProtectPlistConfigData (2121) & Voice Update - Nora (1.3.13), but neither looks related, especially since their release dates don't seem to coincide with the reporting here.

While bluetooth can be power toggled (manually via terminal), it continues to crash system preferences and will not allow any devices to be connected. Booting in Safe seems to fix that, but still doesn't address the actual bluetooth issue. No error pops up in about system, etrecheck, or cleanmymac. Still can’t seem to toggle bluetooth IO via console bar - only manually via terminal with blueutil -p 0/1 or sudo launchctl stop/start com.apple.bluetoothhd.

Guessing this must be the described hardware issue. Looks like this could be the battery on the logic board, but if Apple Care is saying it might be something else and requires machine replacement.. who knows. ****, this is my work computer, and I was hoping to avoid IT/sending it in. Looks like I've hopped in the boat with the rest of you.

Worth noting, and I recommend anyone in the future who posts to this (or folks who captured it at the time of their log):

• Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 7.0.5f6
  • Chipset: 4350
  • Firmware Version: v127 c5602

Some references:

Nov 17, 2019 9:58 PM in response to sf_gil

I also need to echo the same concerns.

I have a 2018 Mac mini as well. After the 10.15.1 update, I get "Bluetooth: Not Available" and no hardware shows in System Report.

I have tried:

• SMC Reset
  • NVRAM Reset
  • Full Catalina Reinstall
  • Delete all Bluetooth-related .plist files
  • Unplugging EVERYTHING and leaving it off for several hours
  • Ran the internal diagnostics (D-key boot up). No problems found.

My inclination is that a firmware update in 10.15.1 has bricked the Bluetooth controller, and perhaps even those who have had their logic board replaced have the same result occurring when Catalina boots back up. Power supply problems? Highly, highly improbable.

This really does seem like a recent update that could possibly be bricking perhaps a certain batch hardware. Not good.

For those with similar problems, I got my Mac mini in December of last year. It's the 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7 with a 1TB SSD. I have upgraded the RAM after the fact.

All that's left to try for me is roll back to an older backup... This seems like a nasty problem if it is what it sounds like.

One would hope they'd jump on this quick and perhaps fix it with a subsequent update, but this feels to me like the kind of thing Apple gets dodgy about and denies until there's some uproar. I would suggest everyone with the problem contact Apple ASAP.

Has anyone else in this thread with this problem found resolution yet?

Jan 8, 2020 6:28 PM in response to sf_gil

Solved in 5 minutes with Apple Support over the phone. I have a Macbook Pro, Retina Mid 2012 on MacOS Catalina which did an automatic update to 10.15.2. After I was unable to connect a bluetooth headset, I noticed the bluetooth icon had a line through it and said Bluetooth: Not Available. I tried all of the delete this and reboot that with no success. I read the forums and some people mentioned taking it to the Apple store. I knew the issue was patch related and not hardware. So, I called Apple Support. Apple had me do the following.

1. Do a spotlight search for bluetooth. This was because the Bluetooth option disappeared from the System preferences. It showed up under System preferences there. (You can probably skip this step as there is no configuration change required)
  2. Shutdown your Mac
  3. Once it is completely shutdown, hold the Shift Key (keep holding it) and press the power button. Keep holding the shift key until your login screen appears (Do not release it on the apple logo, but only when the login appears).
  4. Once you see the login screen, let go of the Shift key, and login.
  5. After logging in, you will see Safe Boot in red letters in the upper right corner of your desktop.
  6. Your Mac will go through its diagnostics in the background and once completed it will prompt you to login again.
  7. Once you login again, your bluetooth icons and availability should be there.
  8. Click on the Bluetooth icon and you should see previously paired devices (Their names or mac addresses).
  9. Restart your Mac and everything should work.

This worked for me. I hope this helps someone.

Oct 31, 2019 7:49 AM in response to sf_gil

I am having this same issue. I called Apple Support this morning after doing an SMC Reset and even a full clean reinstall and still have the same issue. I am having to take the mac mini in to the Apple Store for repair. They state it could be a hardware issue but seems odd it would be a hardware issue after a software update. Will update...

Nov 13, 2019 4:20 AM in response to BobMcScratchit

I ended up taking my Mac Mini into the Apple Store and they originally said it was a failed logic board and ordered a replacement for that. After they swapped out the logic board it still didn’t pass their tests so they told me they were going to order a new power supply and try that. I haven’t heard anything since last week, still waiting to get my machine back. Still find it off that all the “hardware” issues began right after I ran a software update.

Nov 23, 2019 4:03 PM in response to willmcc

Just dropped mine off at the Apple store. Tech tried everything - including a DFU iBridge restore (which failed twice).

Other forums have mentioned that this is a corrupt firmware issue. Apple tech could not find any hardware issues, but Bluetooth didn’t even show up on the hardware test.

They now say they’re doing a “deep dive” which will take 3-5 days. Concerning.

Nov 26, 2019 1:46 PM in response to sf_gil

I had this issue on my iMac with Mojave, and now I still have the issue with Catalina. It's been doing this for a few months now. It works most of the time, and then it stops and I have to plug in a wired mouse and connect my Magic keyboard via Lightening and then try various things to get it working again. I need to write down all the things I try, but I've researched this and have tried pretty much everything people here are saying.

Today to get it working, I did an SMC reset and when it came back up Bluetooth was "available" and I just had to click the Bluetooth icon to turn it on again after reboot. The magic Mouse connected on its own and started working then, but not the Magic keyboard. I had to plug the keyboard in and then I was able to make the "Connect" option for it in the Bluetooth pulldown work. It would not connect without being plugged in first.

I'll start keeping a detailed log about what I do to make it work (temporarily at least), and if I learn anything I'll post it here.

10.15.1 Update - Bluetooth not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.