Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install El Capitan on New Drive on Early 2008 Mac Pro

Hi folks.

I need to put an OS onto a new drive for my Early 2008 Mac Pro. El Capitan I have running on it, but I can't find an installer that works. I downloaded it, but Apple isn't sending anything to me during the download, so it fails.

Any insight appreciated.

Cheers

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 9:48 AM

Yes when you double-click on the .pkg file you will see the Installer window open, go through its prompts, at some point it will say this will take up 16.5MBs of disk space (so hardly the install of an Operating System), when it has finished doing its thing, you will get the green tick confirming this small install has taken place. Now look in your Applications folder for Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app. You then use that to install directly to your new disk, or you can make a USB installer as described in the link

I previously posted.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 9:48 AM in response to BioRich

Yes when you double-click on the .pkg file you will see the Installer window open, go through its prompts, at some point it will say this will take up 16.5MBs of disk space (so hardly the install of an Operating System), when it has finished doing its thing, you will get the green tick confirming this small install has taken place. Now look in your Applications folder for Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app. You then use that to install directly to your new disk, or you can make a USB installer as described in the link

I previously posted.

Oct 30, 2019 7:42 AM in response to BioRich

Click on this link, How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Go to Section 4 and then click on Download Mac OS X El Capitan.

This will download a file called InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

When the download has completed, double click on it and a Disk will appear on the

Desktop, open that and double-click on the InstalMacOSX.pkg.

This will open the installation window, proceed and this will make a Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app

in your applications folder. you can double-click on that to start the installation procedure,

you will be asked to select a disk for the installation. Or you can use the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support to make a bootable USB from the

Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app.

Before you do all that make sure you format your new disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a

GUID Partition Map.

Install El Capitan on New Drive on Early 2008 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.