Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Keyboard not working after sleep

I use my MacBook pro with the lid closed and two monitors. I have an external Mac USB keyboard, too. Before the Catalina upgrade, I was able to wake the computer using the external keyboard. Now, after I put the MacBook into Sleep then reconnect to my monitors & keyboard the keyboard does not work. The monitors work fine and the mouse can be used to wake the Mac. But the keyboard does not work until I perform a restart.

Any thoughts?

MacBook

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 10:01 AM

61 replies

Feb 7, 2020 10:03 AM in response to kotysek

Each day starts with me waking up a sleeping computer and not having a USB wired keyboard connection!

Fortunately, the reset of holding down power button after shut down for 10 seconds works every morning for me.

Still, as a "PRO" it would be nice for me to arrive in the studio and start working immediately before ideas are lost....

:(

Feb 10, 2020 2:47 AM in response to cornflakecounter

I have the same problem using a 2018 MacBook Pro 15 (w/ Catalina). My laptop is docked, and this happens both when the keyboard is connected through a USB hub, or connected directly to the Mac through Apple official HDMI adapter. It's really annoying to have to unplug the MacBook, remove it from the dock and open the lid so it wakes up, and then connect everything again and close it. That's the only way to force it to wake up. It doesn't make any sense that a professional grade machine has such an obvious flaw.

Nov 12, 2019 6:27 PM in response to cornflakecounter

Same problem here. I have a Macbook Early 2015 with an Apple USB external keyboard. If I put my Macbook into Sleep, my Logitech mouse can wake the Mac, but the keyboard does not work anymore. I have posted a similar question before in this forum and it was suggested to reset the SMC and restart the Mac in safe mode. Safe mode solved the problem for a while but, after some "sleeps", the problem happened again.

Dec 6, 2019 8:18 PM in response to cornflakecounter

I have the same issue here after upgrading to Catalina.

USB Keyboard and mouse is plugged into the monitor's USB hub, and a USB-C cable to the Mac. After a wake up from sleep keyboard and mouse don't respond. I have to unplug and plug the USB-C cable back a few time before it starts to work.

2016 13inch Touch Bar MBP on Catalina 10.15.1

It is really frustrating.....

Dec 9, 2019 8:13 AM in response to cornflakecounter

I have same issue with MacBook Pro Early 2015 after Catalina upgrade. I have an external monitor with a USB hub connected, a mouse and keyboard connected to the USB hub. When I connect the hub to my laptop, sometimes the mouse and keyboard do not work, sometimes the problem occurs after waking up. Re-connecting the USB cable several times helps.

Jan 7, 2020 9:33 AM in response to cornflakecounter

I also have the same issue with a MacBook Pro 15-inch 2016. My keyboard that is routed through a couple of USB hubs (one in a LG monitor and a second USB 3.0 4-port Hub with power. About 50% of the time after sleep the keyboard doesn't work. I have to pull the LG USB3 monitor link and reinsert to revive the keyboard, sometimes this takes a few attempts.

I was only focused on the keyboard but also found that my USB attached Bose sound system connect to that USB hub also was not working on wakeup. Again when I disconnect the LG monitor to which the Hub is attached for the keyboard and Bose and reconnect things work again.

Now just today, I have Thunderbolt attached Drobo through a USB3 to Thunderbolt adapter. If the MacBook sleeps the Drobo does as well but the Drobo doesn't wake up when the MacBook does and remains in sleep mode.

Now here comes my hardware background. On the PCI bus (where the USB Controller would be attached) as per the specification a reset signal should be asserted (I believe for 100 ms minimum) on wakeup or reboot. In hardware designs using system on modules in the past we had problems where firmware and os drivers were not asserting that signal long enough causing a very similar problem. Now I am not sure if the USB within the MacBook may not be started properly until it gets the insertion interrupt or if the USB downstream is messed up. But this would be the first place I look (Apple).

Here is the hardware capture of my USB: -- Hope it helps

USB 3.0 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCISPT

PCI Device ID: 0xa12f 

PCI Revision ID: 0x0031 

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086 

Hub:

Product ID: 0x8142

Vendor ID: 0x0451  (Texas Instruments)

Version: 1.00

Serial Number: 1C041851AB7E

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s

Location ID: 0x14600000 / 48

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

USB3.0 Hub:

Product ID: 0x5401

Vendor ID: 0x0bda  (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 1.26

Manufacturer: Realtek

Location ID: 0x14620000 / 51

Keyboard Hub:

Product ID: 0x1006

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 96.15

Serial Number: 000000000000

Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.

Location ID: 0x14622000 / 53

Current Required (mA): 300

Apple Keyboard:

Product ID: 0x0220

Version: 0.69

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Apple, Inc

Location ID: 0x14622200 / 54

Current Required (mA): 20

Bose USB Audio:

Product ID: 0x1020

Vendor ID: 0x05a7  (Bose Corporation)

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Bose Corporation

Location ID: 0x14621000 / 52

TUSB3410 EECode Ser :

Product ID: 0x3410

Version: 1.01

Serial Number: 00153063

Manufacturer: Texas Instruments

Location ID: 0x14640000 / 50

Texas Instruments USB Billboard Device:

Product ID: 0x3421

Serial Number: 85FF5CBBF7D42539

Manufacturer: Texas Instruments Inc.

Location ID: 0x14610000 / 49

Current Required (mA): 100

Apple T1 Controller:

Product ID: 0x8600

Version: 1.01

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x14200000

Jan 28, 2020 5:18 PM in response to stephanej

Brand new 2020 MBP 16" not working.

2 official Apple keyboards sadly not working. Detached everything and reboot, reinserted etc. All the USB ports work with other devices fine. The ONLY thing that worked for me was an SMC reset. What a royal PITA! Everything worked fine under Sierra, High Sierra etc. I have 6 Macs in my house so it is definitely something that got changed with Mojave and is continued over to Catalina.

Please help Apple!

DV

Feb 7, 2020 12:36 AM in response to cornflakecounter

Same problems roughly since Catalina upgrade :( Worked fine half a year before that.

Gmobi USB hub connected to Macbook Air 2019 ... EIZO monitor and USB mouse (tried several of them) connected to the hub. Mouse stops working 90% of times when I disconnect the hub.

Sometimes switching the hub to other USB-C port (have two of them) helps ... 20% of times. Restart helps 100% of times.

Very annoying ... have to go to meetings several times every day ... disconnect, reconnect, restart ... I'm starting to remember how I felt when I used to be Windows user :))

Apple ... it's been several months ... do something, please!

USB Keyboard not working after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.