Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t connect to public wifi login screen after updating to Catalina

I updated my 15” 2017 retina with Touch Bar MacBook Pro to OSX Catalina and now can’t connect to public wifi with a login screen (E.g. Starbucks Wifi, Via Rail train wifi, etc...). I’ve tried making a new network location, clearing DNS, website data etc... and still nothing. I’m still able to connect to password-protected wifi networks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 6:23 AM

Hi, I don't have a permanent fix for this but Apple support had me reboot in safe mode, then the login screen popped up and I was able to access the login screen on public wifi, then reboot into normal mode and I had wifi internet access.

To reboot into safe mode:

1. Shut down computer
  2. Hold down shift key and press power button
  3. Keep holding shift key until you get to the Apple Logo
  4. Release shift and login to your Mac
  5. Connect to your preferred wifi
  6. Reboot computer.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 6:23 AM in response to willenbillen

Hi, I don't have a permanent fix for this but Apple support had me reboot in safe mode, then the login screen popped up and I was able to access the login screen on public wifi, then reboot into normal mode and I had wifi internet access.

1. Shut down computer
  6. Reboot computer.

Nov 2, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Bradley Ross

The network appears on the list, and I’m able to connect and get an IP address. Normally, a login/accept the terms and conditions page should appear, but it doesn’t. When I go to an internet browser to use the captive.apple.com trick, it says I’m not connected to the internet. I spoke with an Apple support person and they advised me to make a new user account and try from the new account, which works. I then log out of that account and back into my normal account, and I’m able to access the internet... the problem happens with any type of public wifi where you have an “accept and connect” page (normal password protected networks work fine). OS X 10.15.1 was just released so I’ll try updating and see if that helps

Nov 6, 2019 7:04 AM in response to drcpsmith

drcpsmith wrote:

1. Hi, I don't have a permanent fix for this but Apple support had me reboot in safe mode, then the login screen popped up and I was able to access the login screen on public wifi, then reboot into normal mode and I had wifi internet access.
Shut down computer
6. Reboot computer.

This may indicate that you have a third party app such as an antivirus app launching at startup and the app is interfering with your browser or network access.

Oct 30, 2019 10:42 AM in response to willenbillen

Go into Network Preferences within System Preferences and click on the Advanced button. Look to see if auto-join is checked for the networks. There used to be separate flags for auto-login and auto-join. There appears to be only one now.

Another thing that I have found useful is to turn off wi-fi, wait twenty seconds, and turn it back on again.

Is it not automatically joining, or is the wifi network not appearing in the list?

Nov 2, 2019 7:46 PM in response to Bradley Ross

Doing Google on catalina auto-login wifi shows a large number of entries

https://poweruser.blog/macos-catalina-wifi-issue-captive-portal-broken-45610cc016b5

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-fix-wi-fi-issues-on-mac/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250716363

https://macreports.com/mac-catalina-wi-fi-problems-fix/

Another possibility. After attaching to the wifi server and not seeing the message, try opening the browser and going to a site such as cnn.com or apple.com. If it says something about a possibility of something impersonating the site, tell the system to ignore that for the moment. I have seen this before, and the acceptance screen will then appear and you can acknowledge there and then continue normally.

Since I can't replicate the problem on my MacBook Pro, I can't tell if this will work. However, if somebody having the problem can try this, it may be useful. It appears that the laptop is not activating the auto-login script which sends a message to captive.apple.com (to be verified). The wifi points with acceptance pages then send the acceptance page to any http request. After acceptance, the wifi access point sends the http requests to the correct server.

It is possible that the auto-login property is still attached to the wifi access point but the system preferences -> Network -> TCP-IP-> Advanced can't set the property. Try deleting the wifi service from the list on the menu generated by the Advanced button and shut down the machine. After you start up the system, see if you can get to the wifi service.

Nov 6, 2019 8:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Possibly, however I haven't added anything new and it is only since the Catalina update. This seems to be a common problem after the Catalina trash update.

Apple is definitely losing its luster and there are more and more indications that performance and customer wants are secondary to Apple's focus. I wont upgrade my Mac until a new keyboard system is implemented and Apple's refusal to provide touchscreens on Macbooks is bizarre. You would have a HUGE upgrade cycle if you provided better keyboards, smaller bezels and a touchscreen.

Can’t connect to public wifi login screen after updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.