Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and Chrome can’t connect to the server after Catalina update

I upgraded My MacBook Pro’s operating system to CATALINA.

After upgrade, I can connect WiFi, BUT Safari or Chrome Can’t connect to the server. I can’t use internet.

How to solve this problem? Please help me !

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 11:00 AM

Hello, please see my post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250713004

Please try to reboot your MacBook into Safe Mode (holding the shift key on boot). If the Captive Portal appears it is likely a 3rd party application that is interfering with the Network Stack.

When you reload you PC back into Normal Mode you should be connected, however that doesn't necessarily mean it is fixed. This is because you have just gone through the captive portal process i.e. Accept T&Cs in Safe Mode for that day. Then after a certain period the Captive Portal may expire your session. you will need to complete the Captive Portal process again and hence it will no longer work.

So the real fix is check for applications installed that could interfere with the Network Stack such as a VPN client i.e. Cisco VPN Client or even possibly an Anti-Virus Scanner.

130 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 11:00 AM in response to jackvinson

Hello, please see my post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250713004

Please try to reboot your MacBook into Safe Mode (holding the shift key on boot). If the Captive Portal appears it is likely a 3rd party application that is interfering with the Network Stack.

When you reload you PC back into Normal Mode you should be connected, however that doesn't necessarily mean it is fixed. This is because you have just gone through the captive portal process i.e. Accept T&Cs in Safe Mode for that day. Then after a certain period the Captive Portal may expire your session. you will need to complete the Captive Portal process again and hence it will no longer work.

So the real fix is check for applications installed that could interfere with the Network Stack such as a VPN client i.e. Cisco VPN Client or even possibly an Anti-Virus Scanner.

Oct 10, 2019 1:39 PM in response to Savas44

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Savas44.

If I understand your post correctly, your MacBook Pro is connected to Wi-Fi but Safari and Chrome can't connect to the server when you try to visit websites. I’d like to help.

Follow the steps in this article:

If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Oct 17, 2019 11:20 AM in response to Savas44

There seem to be a variety of challenges for people. My specific issue has to to with the "captive portal login" that pops up when I connect to public wifi in hotels and cafes.

A possible answer has to do with removing everything in the \Library\LaunchAgents and \Library\LaunchDaemons. On my machine, there were a bunch of out-of-date entries there (for apps I no longer use). Maybe those were causing problems? I'll find out after a couple days. I discovered this on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250713004

Oct 17, 2019 9:30 AM in response to amogh33

isnt there some way to FORCE the WiFi pop up to appear?

Unfortunately, this suggestion above doesn’t seem to help. I renewed lease, created a new location, created a new WiFi service...

if I restart my computer, the WiFi pop up will appear again (sometimes). But I really don’t want to have to restart my computer each time I wake up for the day.

Oct 22, 2019 5:43 PM in response to Savas44

Hi all,

If you have tried all these things and things still don't work then you may find my experience helpful.

Upon upgrading my Macbook Pro (2012) to Catalina, I found I couldn't gain any access to the internet on Safari or use anything that required the internet, such as Mail, Skype etc... I too had a Wifi connection but no internet access. When Safari was opened, it showed an error message saying the page couldn't be displayed and that it couldn't authorise the content. I tried all methods previously mentioned and spent hours talking to Apple support and our IT department, who couldn't figure it out.

After a bit of my own digging, I found that a common problem that occurs with Macs after a Software updates is that 3rd party anti-virus software can interfere with things like internet connection. I found that my old Intego - ContentBarrier software (which I don't even use anymore, but haven't uninstalled yet) was blocking access to the internet after the upgrade to Catalina. Once I opened on the app, it asked me authorise Internet access, which restored full function of Safari and other apps. This needs to be done every time I connect to a new Wifi/turn my Mac on, I presume until I uninstall the ContentBarrier app.

I hope this helps!

Oct 22, 2019 6:18 PM in response to TomKaySee

Wonderful! Some antivirus software is the problem. And more to the point SOMETHING is interfering with the internet connection / network stack. But how in the world do we find out what that is? In my case, as far as I know, I am not running an AntiVirus program. Being only semi-technical, I am not sure where else to look -- I've gone through my Applications to see if there is anything obvious and deleted some more that I don't use. But I don't think any of them were specifically sitting on my network.

Oct 22, 2019 6:38 PM in response to jackvinson

Hi jackvinson,

I am not tech-savvy myself, so my ability to help is pretty limited. I can only share my experience, so hopefully it helps or others can build on it. Your case might be similar to mine, or completely different. Have you tried the other methods mentioned in this thread?

In my case it was the ContentBarrier app. Each time I start my Mac, I need to click on the app and it asks to 'unblock the internet'. It's an app I have had for years but never used it or pay any attention to it! So it could be a security app you downloaded a while ago without knowing. The only suggestion I have is open your apps until you find something that gives you more clues. I wouldn't delete anything for now, in case you delete something that needs to be used. Some apps that I have that were suspects were ContentBarrier, VirusBarrier, FileGuard, etc. I think that this can occur for Intego and Norton products from what I have read.

Oct 24, 2019 7:52 PM in response to Savas44

I’m having this issue as well on any public WiFi that has a capture page for authentication.

the “create new network” method didn’t work.

rebooting into safe mode gave me the capture screen to log into the WiFi, then restarting normally worked as well.

there appears to be something preventing captive screens from displaying, AND I can’t even connect by navigating to the connection screen manually (often going to the routers IP address triggers the log in screen). This is inhibited entirely somehow and I don’t know what it is.

I have 0 antivirus of firewalls installed other than what is built into the system settings. I have a Vpn but is does not open or block traffic on system launch. So I don’t know what is triggering this behavior on Catalina.

Oct 25, 2019 1:14 PM in response to Savas44

Initially couldn't connect to WiFi after installing Catalina. I discovered that moving my MacBook Pro closer to the modem/router in my apartment allowed me to successfully connect to WiFi. I installed a WiFi repeater in the room where I usually use my laptop and that allowed me to connect the laptop to WiFi. I suspect Catalina impacts WiFi card because I didn't experience the same problem with a desktop computer located in the same room running El Capitan.

Oct 25, 2019 6:45 PM in response to Savas44

After I updated to Catalina, I could connect wifi even tho it did not work, shows connected but Safari won’t work, says “can’t connect to the Server”. But more i got a window NEIKEv2 Provider asking to sign using a key “privateKey” that I don’t have nor have any idea how this got in here. Please can someone help, thanks

Oct 27, 2019 5:21 AM in response to Xboater

The only way it worked for me was to boot in safe mode the establish the connection and reboot. Seems like you may have to do this for every new network you attempt to join . A secure network that requires password access works fine! Anyway there was a patch released couple of days ago, I installed it hopefully would not have to do the safe mode anymore

Safari and Chrome can’t connect to the server after Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.