Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine can't access the backup disk. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

Time Machine can't connect to the backup disk. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 5.)

also comes up. Have just deleted the backup by erasing the Time Capsule and started over. It keeps on getting the error message.

Running OS 10.15.1

Need help

Ron

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 10:28 PM

Thanks Bob, noticed that this happened after installing Catalina, unfortunately when things are running well checking if auto backup is working is the last thing you do until a problem appears. Thankfully I do another time machine backup manually and 2 Super Super ones for insurance.

I did what you suggested and still didn't work so I deleted the backup altogether and then deleted the partition disk.

Turned off Time Capsule and restarted Mac Pro and the Time Capsule, TC partition defaulted to Airport Disk.

Selected it as a new Backup disk and it is now performing a new backup, fingers crossed and thankyou

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2019 10:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, noticed that this happened after installing Catalina, unfortunately when things are running well checking if auto backup is working is the last thing you do until a problem appears. Thankfully I do another time machine backup manually and 2 Super Super ones for insurance.

I did what you suggested and still didn't work so I deleted the backup altogether and then deleted the partition disk.

Turned off Time Capsule and restarted Mac Pro and the Time Capsule, TC partition defaulted to Airport Disk.

Selected it as a new Backup disk and it is now performing a new backup, fingers crossed and thankyou

Oct 30, 2019 8:41 PM in response to flexolink

Need help

So does Catalina 10.15.x since Apple has made a number of changes with Time Machine and has documented none of them.

We can't offer any more than the standard advice.....things you may have already done.

Shut down the Mac, wait a few minutes and restart

Power off the Time Capsule wait a few minutes and restart

Delete the backup disk from Time Machine Preferences and then choose it again

Run First Aid on Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data using Disk Utility

Oct 31, 2019 6:18 AM in response to flexolink

I did what you suggested and still didn't work so I deleted the backup altogether

Confused, but glad that you got things worked out.

You had mentioned that you erased the Time Capsule disk.......Have just deleted the backup by erasing the Time Capsule and started over.......so there would not have been a backup on the disk at all if the disk really was erased.

Oct 31, 2019 3:23 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I wish I had of taken more notice, when I started getting the error trying to backup, I did go back to Time Machine to check the backup which was still there, oddly it was not complete but I thought it was just glitch. What also through me was finding out Apple has discontinued the Time Capsule etc - this had an affect on my thought process, ****, another good product down the drain.

Anyhow, I did erase the disk and zeroed out the data, 2TB. Next I used the default "Airport Disk" name and my new backup took 9.35 hours - all is good again and thankyou Bob, appreciate your help.

Ron

Time Machine can't access the backup disk. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.