Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina has slowed my MacBook Pro

Ever since installing Catalina my MacBook Pro is slow to load. Safari is now horribly slow.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 7:59 AM

Many people have found that doing an SMC reset after upgrading to Catalina restores normal operation. See this Apple article:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Note that you must use the instruction set for your specific Mac model. Newer MacBook Pros with the T2 security chip have a different SMC reset procedure than older models.

If you are not sure which MBP sub-model you have, do "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu and find sub-molde information in the resulting window:

If you are still not sure, tell us the sub-model and we can help you figure out what SMC reset instructions to use.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2019 7:59 AM in response to BillinPhoenix1000

Many people have found that doing an SMC reset after upgrading to Catalina restores normal operation. See this Apple article:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Note that you must use the instruction set for your specific Mac model. Newer MacBook Pros with the T2 security chip have a different SMC reset procedure than older models.

If you are not sure which MBP sub-model you have, do "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu and find sub-molde information in the resulting window:

If you are still not sure, tell us the sub-model and we can help you figure out what SMC reset instructions to use.

Nov 5, 2019 10:06 AM in response to BillinPhoenix1000

After upgrading my MacBook Pro mid 2012 to Catalina it slowed to a crawl. Opened activity monitor and noticed my anti virus software was not responding (Trend Micro). After quitting the app the system worked normally. My Trend Micro anti virus was up to date and couldn’t find anything on Trend micro website for a fix. I’ll be looking for a Mac compatible anti virus app that runs on Catalina but this seems to have been the culprit.

Catalina has slowed my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.