Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck before login screen after Catalina ulgrade

Hello all.

last night I upgraded my Mac to Catalina. The installation finished with no issues, but after the first boot my iMac stucks in apple logo with progress bar.

When I try to boot in safe mode, everything is OK, but when I try to boot in normal mode, iMac stucks again !

can you help ???

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 10:01 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 31, 2019 1:56 PM in response to zografos.sotiris

My Mac only runs properly in Safe mode

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Installing An Upgrade From Safe Mode

1. Disconnect all peripherals connected.
  2. Reset your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.
  3. Restart the computer and at the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  4. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  5. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. 
  6. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  7. Select Restart from the Apple menu. Press and hold down Command-S to start in Safe Mode. This is slower than a normal startup. Don't panic.
  8. Now, try installing the upgrade and see if you have normal results.

Oct 31, 2019 7:46 PM in response to zografos.sotiris

Clearly, I doubt you have read the links that I provided since there were lots to do before your conclusion would be reached, none of which were discussed in your last post. Given that I provide the following:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (will be the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Oct 31, 2019 11:56 PM in response to Kappy

Dear friend. Thanks a lot for your help, but I DO NOT INTEND to format my iMac !

My iMac works perfectly in Safe Mode, all my files are there and everything works well.

Since the update to Catalina it stucks in Apple Logo, near the end of the progress bar and never shows the login screen.

I read everything you sent me carefully and believe me I've tried everything. If you have an other idea, I will try it immediately, but I will NOT format my drive and start all over.

Thank you.

Stuck before login screen after Catalina ulgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.