Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina slow

I installed Catalina on my iMac 21.5 2017 it is now forever loading anything. Very very slow

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 4:09 PM

Great! Thanks for the update.

She had you perform an SMC Reset:

These symptoms might mean that an SMC reset is necessary:

• Your Mac performs unusually slowly, even though its CPU isn't under an abnormally heavy load.

That was followed by the "Safe Mode" startup, and finally restarting normally. All of that is justified for a Mac that is performing slowly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2019 4:09 PM in response to Ab-54

Great! Thanks for the update.

She had you perform an SMC Reset:

These symptoms might mean that an SMC reset is necessary:

• Your Mac performs unusually slowly, even though its CPU isn't under an abnormally heavy load.

That was followed by the "Safe Mode" startup, and finally restarting normally. All of that is justified for a Mac that is performing slowly.

Oct 31, 2019 1:31 PM in response to Ab-54

I have has exactly the opposite experience where my Macs actually seem to be a bit faster and much smoother with Catalina. Maybe if you follow the suggestion below and post an Etrecheck report we might be able to help you.

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Use the Add Text button to include the Etrecheck report in your reply.

Catalina slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.