Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow imac after Catalina install

Installed Catalina on desktop iMac (2013). had been operating well, but now takes 5 minutes just to open, and everything takes an absurd amount of time. A lot of software in inoperable due to Catalina upgrade, but I cant download any updates until I can fix the speed. Suggestions?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 9:51 AM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2020 1:16 PM in response to Ames74

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Slow imac after Catalina install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.