Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Export unknown error (256)

I have recently upgraded to macOS Catalina 10.15.1 on my new iMac. Trying to Export some photos in my library to my desktop and can't either as an unmodified photo or just as a photo. I get Export complete with Errors. 0 (of 1) files have been exported. The export operation failed to create a file for the photo identified below: IMG_2843.jpeg. Unknown error (256). Any suggestions? Can't seem to export anything right now but I exported photos successfully on Oct. 28. Makes no sense.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 31, 2019 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 6:57 AM

Working for me, too! I didn't even restart my iMac. Checked this morning and tried every way I could think of, from Photos and My Photo Stream, and they exported just fine!! I did photos from my Canon 6D Mark II, and photos from my iPhone. All worked. Apple must of fixed some bug but it still shows version 10.15.1. When it was not working, I did re-start my iMac several times as that is always the first line of attack when there is a problem! Thanks for your reply and glad we are all OK again.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 6:57 AM in response to Ken McEwen

Working for me, too! I didn't even restart my iMac. Checked this morning and tried every way I could think of, from Photos and My Photo Stream, and they exported just fine!! I did photos from my Canon 6D Mark II, and photos from my iPhone. All worked. Apple must of fixed some bug but it still shows version 10.15.1. When it was not working, I did re-start my iMac several times as that is always the first line of attack when there is a problem! Thanks for your reply and glad we are all OK again.

Dec 10, 2019 11:17 AM in response to Maryp.frompa

I'm facing a different issue since updating to 10.15. After having an uptime for about 3 days, i'm not able to write or delete to my Desktop. It simply behaves like it is an read only folder. I tried to export an image from Photos to the desktop and suddenly I got the 256 error. I checked the Console and it said something like

Export of item 260B3BEC-C13A-48FA-BA18-5099C785FE23 failed to coordinate writing to <private>, error <private>

so I guess, it has to do with this issue. I tried to export the Downloads folder - no problem.

Every-time reproducible and restarting fixes the issue with the writing permissions on the Desktop, so it implicitly fixes the export issue as well(for me at least…)

Photos Export unknown error (256)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.