Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no administrator account on my mac

After I had added a new user account on my mac, I became a normal user (instead of being administratior). So, now I just don't have any administrator acconut and that's why i'm not able to install apps or make any changes in user preferences and so on. I tried to fix this problem by starting in Single User Mode and rebooting, so that I can add a new admin account, but it didn't work. Is there any other way to set up an admin account?

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 11:45 AM

It does not help at all because I do not have any admin account. Even if I reset the password, I still have my normal user account, but with a new password. What I need is to create an admin account, so that I can install different apps. Right now I do not have any administrator rights to do that.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2019 11:45 AM in response to macjack

It does not help at all because I do not have any admin account. Even if I reset the password, I still have my normal user account, but with a new password. What I need is to create an admin account, so that I can install different apps. Right now I do not have any administrator rights to do that.

Nov 1, 2019 12:58 PM in response to i_tanciuc

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/164331/i-dont-have-administrator-account-on-my-mac

You can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDonethen ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Nov 1, 2019 6:51 AM in response to i_tanciuc

Reset Admin Password

Restart in Recovery Mode (command-r). From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities menu, choose Terminal. At the prompt enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up. Select your startup volume in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu select a user account.

In the fields below enter and confirm your new password then click on Save. Now choose Restart from the Apple menu. Your Mac should now use the new password you’ve created.

There is no administrator account on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.