Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No admin account of Mac

I haven't updated my mac since 2017 and when I finally updated it to Big Sur I noticed that it changed my account from admin to standard. I can't figure out a way to fix it.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 5:16 PM

Hi,

There should be another account then, an admin account. Log in to that > System Preferences > Users & Groups > click the lock and enter password > click on your account > check the box for "Allow user to admin this computer."

If your account really is the only account on the Mac, try the same process to turn it into an admin account.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 5:16 PM in response to scigs02

Hi,

There should be another account then, an admin account. Log in to that > System Preferences > Users & Groups > click the lock and enter password > click on your account > check the box for "Allow user to admin this computer."

If your account really is the only account on the Mac, try the same process to turn it into an admin account.

Feb 20, 2022 5:36 PM in response to scigs02

If you don't have another admin account, you can restart the Setup Assistant which will create a new admin user. You can use that to fix your account.

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admi… - Apple Community

You may not need to delete it from the Data volume. Some here have posted that it seems to be linked back to the original location in the System Volume.

You can try to remove it using this command. If you get a file not found, follow the instructions to mount the Data volume and remove it using the commands in the linked User Tip.

rm -i /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

No admin account of Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.