Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

purgeable disk space cannot be used

Hi, after I did a lot of housekeeping to delete and remove unwanted files, my MacBook HD shows 326GB available, with 265GB purgeable. However, when I try to copy a folder with 80GB to the HD, it says there is short of 20GB of disk space. I tried many ways to get rid of the purgeable files but it just can't be done.

Would be grateful if anyone could help advise.

Many thanks!

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2019 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 8:11 AM

Found this post from keg55 at this link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7837675?answerId=32920521022#32920521022.

Solve the issue beautifully! Quoted here in case somebody faces the same problem.

"Since your volume is APFS, it's possible the purgeable data is Time Machine snapshots.

Have you tried:

Open Terminal

Type: tmutil listlocalsnapshots / (if you see a lot of these you can thin them down or delete them)

Type: tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / (thin down)

or

Type: tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 9999999999 1 (deletes all but maybe the newest snapshot with urgency high)"

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2019 8:11 AM in response to Purgato

Found this post from keg55 at this link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7837675?answerId=32920521022#32920521022.

Solve the issue beautifully! Quoted here in case somebody faces the same problem.

"Since your volume is APFS, it's possible the purgeable data is Time Machine snapshots.

Have you tried:

Open Terminal

Type: tmutil listlocalsnapshots / (if you see a lot of these you can thin them down or delete them)

Type: tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / (thin down)

or

Type: tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 9999999999 1 (deletes all but maybe the newest snapshot with urgency high)"

purgeable disk space cannot be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.