Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted files still taking up space after emptying trash

I'm on a MacBook Pro running Mojave. I recently copied a folder over 300gb from my main drive to an external drive. I then deleted those files from the main drive and emptied the trash. This was yesterday but the files are still taking space in the hard drive. I looked at daisy disk and it indeed showed over 300gb in "hidden files" but it can't be deleted because the files aren't there. I've never used time machine. I've tried running in safe mode, doing first aid on the drive, resetting spotlight and a bunch other tips I've seen on here but to no avail. It's showing the same amount of disk space on everything. One thing potentially worth noting is that in the "Manage Storage" window it shows I have 900gb of "system storage." I figure that may be tied to the issue, not sure though. Can anyone offer any assistance ? Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 3:32 AM

What were the type files that you deleted from Main drive? (Was is it system files?)

Good to know you never used time machine, so there is no chance of local snapshot being created.

Still go ahead and check if there is a creation of local snapshot.

Below command in terminal:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

Do you use iCloud Drive or any other cloud storage?

See storage usage of all users, run below command in terminal:

du -hd 1 /Users

Do you have any pending system updates, please check.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 3:32 AM in response to memphis1212

What were the type files that you deleted from Main drive? (Was is it system files?)

Good to know you never used time machine, so there is no chance of local snapshot being created.

Still go ahead and check if there is a creation of local snapshot.

Below command in terminal:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

Do you use iCloud Drive or any other cloud storage?

See storage usage of all users, run below command in terminal:

du -hd 1 /Users

Do you have any pending system updates, please check.

Deleted files still taking up space after emptying trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.