Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?

I have a 2015 era 15" MacBook Pro with a 1 TB solid state drive, running MacOS Mojave. I was warned that the drive was running out of space, so I started deleting files, using the storage manager that you get from the "About this Mac" window. Most of those big files were movies, either iTunes digital downloads or movies that I had downloaded from phones or other places, though not edited.

It now looks in "About this Mac" like I have 300 GB of space free. However, the (get info) (bottom window of the same machine) shows that I only have about 50 GB free, and 263 GB of purgable space, but it does not reflect the 200+ GB of space that I freed. Any idea what gives and how I can fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:46 PM

Dr_Jimbob Said:

"Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?: [...]It now looks in "About this Mac" like I have 300 GB of space free. However, the (get info) (bottom window of the same machine) shows that I only have about 50 GB free, and 263 GB of purgable space, but it does not reflect the 200+ GB of space that I freed. Any idea what gives and how I can fix this?."

-------

Having Moved these Files:

Perhaps caches need to be reset. So, try the following in the order provided:

A. Close these Windows:

Reopening these windows should show it how it should be.

B. Refresh Finder:

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Refresh button

C. Open these Windows:

See if caches reset, and all is shown as should be.

D. Restart the Mac:

See if restarting if keeps it as it should.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Dr_Jimbob

Dr_Jimbob Said:

"Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?: [...]It now looks in "About this Mac" like I have 300 GB of space free. However, the (get info) (bottom window of the same machine) shows that I only have about 50 GB free, and 263 GB of purgable space, but it does not reflect the 200+ GB of space that I freed. Any idea what gives and how I can fix this?."

-------

Having Moved these Files:

Perhaps caches need to be reset. So, try the following in the order provided:

A. Close these Windows:

Reopening these windows should show it how it should be.

B. Refresh Finder:

1. Go To: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Refresh button

C. Open these Windows:

See if caches reset, and all is shown as should be.

D. Restart the Mac:

See if restarting if keeps it as it should.

Discrepancy in free space available on the hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.