Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excessive amount of Other storage

Hi All,

I've recently back up my MacBook Pro onto a couple of hard drives to free up space. However, when I use "About this Mac" to check my storage situation it says that I have nearly 110GB of storage being used by "Other". This is a big problem as my Mac only has 250GB of storage and I've now only got 75GB left.

I can't access the "Other" files in the System Information to delete it and the suggestions online that it's in library don't deem true for my Mac (theres only 5GB in Library)

Any idea on what is taking up so much space that's unspecified? And any ideas on how to delete it?

Below are screen shots of the About This Mac pack and the cleanup page.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 6:52 AM

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Note that there is more than one 'library' – the one you can see at the top level of your drive is the system level library that is generally pretty small, but each user has a 'hidden' library folder and that's what is likely taking the space. To access that folder, in Finder hold the option key then Go menu > Library (Library is only visible with the option key pressed, technically its address is ~/Library).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2020 6:52 AM in response to Bxt3r

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Note that there is more than one 'library' – the one you can see at the top level of your drive is the system level library that is generally pretty small, but each user has a 'hidden' library folder and that's what is likely taking the space. To access that folder, in Finder hold the option key then Go menu > Library (Library is only visible with the option key pressed, technically its address is ~/Library).

Excessive amount of Other storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.