Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac System Data is large

This question pops up alot. Can't find anything to help. Left Top Apple Icon -> About This Mac -> Storage. Shows System Data at 325 GB.

I've tried alot of things to reduce the storage on my HD. Gained some disk space back but the System Data has not budge at all. Where's what I've done:

1. Removed some applications, including Xcode
  2. Move my iOS backups to an external drive
  3. Cleaned up my Download folder of old *.dmg, *.pkg, *.zip and other larger files.
  4. I always keep my ~/Libraries/Application Support, Logs, Caches, clean,
  5. Rebooted into Safe Mode. Took a look at Storage, and rebooted in normal node.
  6. Delete local versions of timemachine backup via 'tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates and deletelocalsnapshotdates.
  7. The free version of Clean MyMac X didn't do much except save me 5 GB.

Have been trying to upgrade xCode for months now, no success. In the meantime the OS has been updated. I aways upgrade to the latest OS on the day it releases or maybe 1 week at the most. I think I sudden realize my 512 GB HD has alot of free space to little. Thought it was videos and music. But I moved those to my external drive.

Any one got any concrete ideas and what can I try?

Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 9:16 PM

Hey there!

Yes that’s a bit much for system data, I don’t think I saw any extra partitions using much data either. Any other Users on your Mac?

While in the ~/Library, (That you are familiar with). Can you get the size of Containers? And if you also have a folder called Screen Recordings? There are a few others to check out.

Ive found if Apple Mail is used and Mail logging is enabled, it can continuously generate logs you don’t need.

To check:

Open Apple Mail app.

Click Window > Connection Doctor.

Click “Show Logs”

Click Command i to see the size.

If large delete everything in that folder, empty the Trash, and make sure to disable the option for Mail Logging in Connection Doctor, to prevent this again.

(These logs are deep within ~/Containers/com.apple.mail, so Connection Doctor is an easy way to find them).

I take it otherwise you’ve already also checked in the ~/Library:

Cache

Containers

Group Containers

Logs

Mail

Screen Recordings

These are my go to’s for Other/System storage, just don’t go delete anything as they may contain important data, however things like Cache and Logs, you can typically get rid of if they get out of line.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 9:16 PM in response to FooFighter1

Hey there!

Yes that’s a bit much for system data, I don’t think I saw any extra partitions using much data either. Any other Users on your Mac?

While in the ~/Library, (That you are familiar with). Can you get the size of Containers? And if you also have a folder called Screen Recordings? There are a few others to check out.

Ive found if Apple Mail is used and Mail logging is enabled, it can continuously generate logs you don’t need.

To check:

Open Apple Mail app.

Click Window > Connection Doctor.

Click “Show Logs”

Click Command i to see the size.

If large delete everything in that folder, empty the Trash, and make sure to disable the option for Mail Logging in Connection Doctor, to prevent this again.

(These logs are deep within ~/Containers/com.apple.mail, so Connection Doctor is an easy way to find them).

I take it otherwise you’ve already also checked in the ~/Library:

Cache

Containers

Group Containers

Logs

Mail

Screen Recordings

These are my go to’s for Other/System storage, just don’t go delete anything as they may contain important data, however things like Cache and Logs, you can typically get rid of if they get out of line.

Hope that helps!

Feb 14, 2022 10:33 PM in response to FooFighter1

FWIW. When Time Machine backs up an APFS volume to a backup destination, also formatted in APFS, it creates two snapshots each hour. The first is a "standard" snapshot of the volume which is stored locally, alongside the volume itself, and the second is a synthetic one (that is created on the destination device) that is used to create the backup. The standard snapshots tend to make up the "lion share" of the "system" category. In theory, these snapshots are deleted automatically every 24 hours. Of course, that would only be true if the Mac is running 24x7.

... so deleting these standard snapshots is really not an effective method to reduce the system data. Actually, disabling Time Machine, and then, re-enabling it would do the same thing as the command in Terminal that you used. If you want to stop macOS from creating these TM snapshots all together, you would need to disable TM ... not recommended, unless you have other backup methods that you employ to protect critical data.

Feb 15, 2022 10:23 PM in response to FooFighter1

Hey again!

I don’t believe taking it into a store will help, as they specialize in hardware repair. Calling Apple Support would be the way to go, even if you need to escalate the case and have them create a ticket if all else fails.

I personally think you may save some time doing all that by backing up, erasing, reinstalling the OS. But would recommend manually moving your data back as opposed to migrating and possibly reintroducing the problem.

Its not as tough at it may seem, main difference would be however setting up your preferences and settings again and re adding your accounts, and possibly reinstalling some apps, although much of that stuff can also be pulled from your Time Machine backup, including data in hidden directories as the ~/Library and other Users, etc. (At least if they’re not being excluded or couldn’t backup due to storage if course).

Its more work, but if you can’t find the culprit, may need to be done.

Hope it works out!

Feb 14, 2022 4:41 PM in response to FooFighter1

FooFighter1 wrote:

1. This question pops up alot. Can't find anything to help. Left Top Apple Icon -> About This Mac -> Storage. Shows System Data at 325 GB.

I've tried alot of things to reduce the storage on my HD. Gained some disk space back but the System Data has not budge at all. Where's what I've done:
Removed some applications, including Xcode
2. Move my iOS backups to an external drive
3. Cleaned up my Download folder of old *.dmg, *.pkg, *.zip and other larger files.
4. I always keep my ~/Libraries/Application Support, Logs, Caches, clean,
5. Rebooted into Safe Mode. Took a look at Storage, and rebooted in normal node.
6. Delete local versions of timemachine backup via 'tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates and deletelocalsnapshotdates.
7. The free version of Clean MyMac X didn't do much except save me 5 GB.

Have been trying to upgrade xCode for months now, no success. In the meantime the OS has been updated. I aways upgrade to the latest OS on the day it releases or maybe 1 week at the most. I think I sudden realize my 512 GB HD has alot of free space to little. Thought it was videos and music. But I moved those to my external drive.

Any one got any concrete ideas and what can I try?
Thanks.

Lets see the output from your Terminal.app copy and paste:

diskutil list internal

Feb 14, 2022 7:21 PM in response to FooFighter1

FooFighter1 wrote:

Hi, hello.

Sorry the non-constant width font, or perhaps tabs versus spaces. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

$ diskutil list internal
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 500.1 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +500.1 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data 427.0 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 380.2 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.1 GB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4
5: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 15.7 GB disk1s5
6: APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 15.7 GB disk1s5s1

That looks in order...

This is all your user data as you can see.

In this case from the GUI above "Storage. Shows System Data at 325 GB" is in reference to your user data.

In your Terminal output it is represented as " Volume Macintosh HD - Data 427.0 GB"

The macOS takes up a the expected amount: Volume Macintosh HD 15.7 GB

Do some house cleaning; if in doubt:

Try something like OmniDiskSweeper for a GUI to get a good look at itemized file size and location:

OmniDiskSweeper http://www.omnigroup.com/more

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

Empty your Trash — Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-files-and-folders-on-mac-mchlp1093/mac

I have never recommended the 'Optimized storage feature"...

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

Feb 14, 2022 10:24 PM in response to DiZoE

$ sudo du -shx /Volumes

Password:

0B /Volumes

I have a background in unix (bsd and SysV), have used linux for many years, macOS is close and seems the cleanest commercial OS to use without having to be a power user.

Do you think the Apple Genius Bar can help me? I once had a bluetooth connection problem and was sure it was a faulty chip or something. The Genius guy just asked me to delete a plist file and bluetooth started working. To this day, I can't find that bluetooth plist file. Searching discussions.apple.com doesn't really help in learning how macOS works.

Would like to not have to work with Apple chat or telephone support. Sorta hard and time consuming to explain, I'm slightly more than a causal laptop user and have tried alot of stuff (but far from an macOS expert). Would like to get more use of my laptop, Apple's SSD capacity don't come cheap.

Feb 14, 2022 7:04 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi, hello.

Sorry the non-constant width font, or perhaps tabs versus spaces. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

$ diskutil list internal

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 500.1 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +500.1 GB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data 427.0 GB disk1s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 380.2 MB disk1s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.1 GB disk1s3

4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4

5: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 15.7 GB disk1s5

6: APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 15.7 GB disk1s5s1

Feb 14, 2022 9:47 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi,

I have a root user and another user that I use for testing yubikeys. Both are minimal. I don't use Apple Mail, although I have accidentally open it once or twice and quickly shut it down.

I don't do anything heavy like gaming or rendering music or video on my computer. Just general consumer stuff.

I'm sure there's nothing large in ~/Library.

$ pwd

/Users/me/Library

$ du -s -h *

360K Accessibility

4.0M Accounts

1.2M Address Book Plug-Ins

188K Application Scripts

7.2G Application Support

0B ApplicationSupport

1.4M Assistant

0B Assistants

8.0K Audio

1.5M Autosave Information

119M Biome

3.1G Caches

4.2M Calendars

164K CallServices

0B ColorPickers

0B Colors

0B Compositions

4.0K Contacts

4.4M ContainerManager

2.5G Containers

196K Cookies

32K CoreData

128K CoreFollowUp

1.8M DES

16K DataDeliveryServices

121M Degoo

1.1G Developer

136K Dictionaries

40K DoNotDisturb

1.7M Dropbox

12K DuetExpertCenter

0B Family

0B Favorites

24K FileProvider

4.0K FontCollections

0B Fonts

420K FrontBoard

0B GameKit

9.8M Google

34G Group Containers

72M HTTPStorages

20M HomeKit

3.1M IdentityServices

0B Input Methods

0B Internet Plug-Ins

316K Keyboard

0B Keyboard Layouts

3.2M KeyboardServices

35M Keychains

2.5M LanguageModeling

20K LaunchAgents

27M Logs

2.6G Mail

0B Maps

2.2G Messages

339M Metadata

92M Mobile Documents

176K News

0B PDF Services

13M Parallels

1.0M Passes

3.8M PersonalizationPortrait

308K Personas

145M Photos

0B PreferencePanes

5.4M Preferences

588K Printers

152K PubSub

564K Receipts

35M Reminders

36K ResponseKit

28M Safari

0B SafariSafeBrowsing

0B SafariSandboxBroker

1.3M Saved Application State

8.0K Saved Searches

0B Screen Savers

0B Scripts

0B Services

40K Sharing

4.6M Shortcuts

0B Sounds

0B Speech

68K Spelling

0B Staging

6.8M StatusKit

4.0K StickiesDatabase

15M Suggestions

10M SyncedPreferences

60K Translation

4.6M Trial

4.0K UIKitSystem

344K VirtualBox

0B Voices

4.9M Weather

1.2M WebKit

0B Workflows

48K com.apple.appleaccountd

40K com.apple.bluetooth.services.cloud

180K com.apple.icloud.searchpartyd

64K com.apple.internal.ck

8.0K iMovie

7.8M iTunes

20K studentd

Feb 14, 2022 10:10 PM in response to FooFighter1

diskutil seems to have it covered, unless I missed something.

If you run sudo du -shx, etc. etc. for the /Volumes directory(directories), bare any fruit either?

You seem to know your stuff, maybe the disk just needs to be repaired or reformatted, (I know that’s always a last resort, especially depending on the setup you have).

Curious to know how it goes, but good luck, hope you find a solution 🙂!

Mac System Data is large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.