Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac indicates I don't have enough space to update to macOS Monterey

I'm trying to update my computer to Mac OS Monterey, but every time I go to update it it says I don't have enough space on my disk even though I've got about 50GB.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on May 2, 2022 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2024 12:09 PM

Depending on which OS version you are trying to update from, you may need up to 44 GB of empty space. To that, you need to add at least 20 GB of space (an absolute minimum at all times) to have the OS be able to function properly; if you fill it completely, the computer will stop functioning and it will be near impossible to access it to clear space.

So, keep deleting or moving videos, photos, movies, etc until you have about 70 GB free space and then try again.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2024 12:09 PM in response to mohmed08

Depending on which OS version you are trying to update from, you may need up to 44 GB of empty space. To that, you need to add at least 20 GB of space (an absolute minimum at all times) to have the OS be able to function properly; if you fill it completely, the computer will stop functioning and it will be near impossible to access it to clear space.

So, keep deleting or moving videos, photos, movies, etc until you have about 70 GB free space and then try again.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

May 3, 2022 6:54 PM in response to mohmed08

That is the installer. It needs considerable space to expand and install itself. 50 GB is too close to the amount required.

You can read this:

https://thesweetbits.com/blog/fix-macos-update-not-enough-free-space/

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

It includes this:

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Monterey requires 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Monterey requires up to 44GB of available storage.

May 5, 2022 2:40 AM in response to mohmed08

The Actual Monterey Installer of 15.72 GB does required that space Plus addition Empty Space to Expand and then installed.

It has been accepted that a Minimum of 50 GB or More Empty Space is a Requirement for a successful upGrade

And Empty Space afterwards - it is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

There has been enough advise / suggestions offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

My Mac indicates I don't have enough space to update to macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.