Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

space for updates

I wanted to update my software on my MacBook Air to macOs Monterey, and when I manually tried to do it, I was informed my disk doesn't have enough space for Monterey. I need 16.68 GB for that. Any suggestions on what to do next?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 8:17 AM

Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage. 

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

In Monterey the “Other “ category is named “ System Storage “.

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 8:17 AM in response to Lincoln-ton

Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage. 

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

In Monterey the “Other “ category is named “ System Storage “.

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Mar 2, 2022 8:20 AM in response to Lincoln-ton

1. Backup your Mac
  2. Reduce the amount of data and Apps you have installed at least temporarily
  3. Games can take a huge amount of storage
  4. Photos and Videos too
  5. Move excess data and Apps to an external drive or online cloud storage (iCloud, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Dropbox, etc.)

In future, purchase a Mac with greater storage capacity. 120GB is not enough and 256GB would be the new bare minimum for the average user. 512GB for power users and 1TB+ for professional users with large amounts of data.

Mar 2, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Lincoln-ton

Here is the short, best answer. When you run out of space on your HD you will need to install an external disk. Then you can transfer files, such as photos or music files to the external disk and that will allow you to delete them from your HD to clear up the needed storage space. These days these disks are cost effective, compact, easy to install with vendor provided USB cables and most do not require external power. You may have to reformat it though. There is a large selection of disks to choose from. This solution will allow you to easily have the storage you need.

space for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.