Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to update Macbook Pro with MacOS Monterey. Not enough space?

I am unable to update Macbook Pro with MacOS Monterey. I need more space and I dont know how to do that.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Hi noelani224,

Optimize storage space

To make more storage space available, use the storage-management features of macOS Sierra or later.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose About This Mac. Then click Storage to see the amount of storage space available for your data.

2. Click the Manage button.
  3. Choose from the recommendations shown, such as Store in iCloud,* Optimize Storage, and Reduce Clutter. Learn more about how to use these features to optimize storage space.

Free up storage space in other ways

• Manually delete unneeded files by moving them to the Trash, then emptying the Trash. Deleting unneeded music, movies, and other media can free up a lot of space, as can deleting files in the Downloads folder. 
  • Delete unneeded email in the Mail app. To delete junk email, open Mail and choose Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail. To delete email you've moved to the Trash mailbox, choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items.
  • Connect an external storage device to your Mac, then move files to that device.
  • Compress files so that they use less storage space.
  • Make sure that your Mac is using macOS Sierra or later, which includes space-saving features like detecting duplicate downloads in Safari; reminding you to delete used app installers; removing old and unused fonts, languages, and dictionaries; and clearing caches, logs, and other unnecessary data when storage space is needed.

Link

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 5:45 PM in response to noelani224

Hi noelani224,

Optimize storage space

To make more storage space available, use the storage-management features of macOS Sierra or later.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose About This Mac. Then click Storage to see the amount of storage space available for your data.

2. Click the Manage button.
  3. Choose from the recommendations shown, such as Store in iCloud,* Optimize Storage, and Reduce Clutter. Learn more about how to use these features to optimize storage space.

Free up storage space in other ways

• Manually delete unneeded files by moving them to the Trash, then emptying the Trash. Deleting unneeded music, movies, and other media can free up a lot of space, as can deleting files in the Downloads folder. 
  • Delete unneeded email in the Mail app. To delete junk email, open Mail and choose Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail. To delete email you've moved to the Trash mailbox, choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items.
  • Connect an external storage device to your Mac, then move files to that device.
  • Compress files so that they use less storage space.
  • Make sure that your Mac is using macOS Sierra or later, which includes space-saving features like detecting duplicate downloads in Safari; reminding you to delete used app installers; removing old and unused fonts, languages, and dictionaries; and clearing caches, logs, and other unnecessary data when storage space is needed.

Link

I am unable to update Macbook Pro with MacOS Monterey. Not enough space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.