Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Hard Drive has 600 Gb missing storage

I moved a folder from my Macbook Pro 2019 to an external hard drive but it didn't free up space. I'm showing almost 600 gb in "other". I can't find this data anywhere. I've tried running Omni Disc Sweeper but it crashes repeatedly. I could use some help cleaning this up. I thought of doing a backup but I expect it would back up the "other" files also. Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 4:47 AM

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 4:47 AM in response to marby

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Apr 11, 2022 3:20 AM in response to marby

Thanks for your response. I've been through every file of every type on my hard drive (Including hidden files) and the 600 gb is unaccounted for. It is like my hard drive failed to empty the area where the files I moved used to be. They were video files. I cannot access that section of my drive so for all intents and purposes my drive is half the size it should be. My final answer is to erase the drive but I'm concerned that if I do a backup it will include the reserved space, so to speak.

Mac Hard Drive has 600 Gb missing storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.