Question:

Question: AirPod Pro Microphone Call Quality

Since using the Airpod Pros this week and on calls people have been commenting on how they are having a hard time hearing me. This is something that never happened with my regular AirPods. From what I can gather it sounds like the external noise cancellation or noise reduction algorithm is getting confused with the noise outside and my voice and effectively cutting out or reducing my voice and boosting the background noise.  

Are others running into this problem? The common complaint I’m getting when talking on the phone with the Airpod Pro is that the background noise is too loud.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Nov 4, 2019 6:03 AM in response to Syrcle In response to Syrcle

I'm glad someone has raised this as I have encountered exactly the same issue. In fact, it's so bad that I've even stopped using the Airpod Pros for voice calls. I presume others have the same problem. Get it sorted Apple.

Nov 4, 2019 6:03 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Nov 4, 2019 9:04 AM in response to 7Huck In response to 7Huck

I’ve managed to solve my own issue by forgetting the AirPods and re-pairing. There is more than one way to pair them and I don’t think the noise cancelling works properly unless they are correctly paired as per the manual. Worth trying. Hope it works for you.

Nov 4, 2019 9:04 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 4, 2019 2:16 PM in response to Syrcle In response to Syrcle

Hi,

Quite simply, I went into Settings, Bluetooth, selected AirPods Pro and clicked “Forget This Device”.

I then re-paired the AirPods with the iPhone X carefully following the correct instructions that came with the AirPods.

For clarity, I didn’t follow the instructions properly when I originally paired with my iPhone. Given that re-pairing has completely solved my problem, I suspect that the way you pair affects the correct operation of the noise cancelling function during telephone calls. On the calls I’ve made since re-pairing, the people I called have reported that I’m coming across very clearly with little background noise.

Nov 4, 2019 2:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 8, 2019 2:07 AM in response to Syrcle In response to Syrcle

Here's what I found. There are two ways to pair/connect the AirPods.

1) As described in the manual where you simply open the lid of the Airpods and bring them close to the iPhone then follow the instructions.

2) Where you go into your Bluetooth settings and search for and pair the Airpods the way you would do other Bluetooth devices.

The same 2 options also apply to subsequent connections after initial pairing.

When I pair or connect using Option 2 above, the telephone quality is awful for the person I'm calling as they hear background noise almost like it has been amplified. I suspect that is because if I connect to my AirPods this way, the noise reduction functionality doesn't work as expected.

When I connect or pair using Option 1, the sound quality is perfect for the person I'm calling and they hear little background noise.

I'm not saying this will help solve your own issues but I thought it might be helpful to share what I've found.

Thanks

Ian

Nov 8, 2019 2:07 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 11, 2019 11:47 AM in response to macdonut In response to macdonut

It's possible this is a more systemic problem. I've been having this issue with my gen 1 AirPods. Not sure if it's since iOS 13 or the iPhone 11 Pro since I got them around the same time. My AirPods worked great for calls previously and now I can't make it though a single call without having an issue. I've had a ticket open with support for over a week now. They're actively working on it, but the engineers haven't come up with anything concrete yet. I had asked if it could be a gen 1 problem but the support tech came back saying "I have seen this issue effecting both" which I took as gen 1 and gen 2. Could be effecting the AirPod Pros as well.

Nov 11, 2019 11:47 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2019 12:34 AM in response to Syrcle In response to Syrcle

Oh man! I thought I was the only one facing this issue.

Everyone that I call using AirPods Pro complaints that they can’t hear me properly and my voice is muffled.

I am going to try the above advice of forgetting and re pairing to see if it works. If not, I am going to go back to Apple store for help.

I’ll message again on how I go.

Cheers.

Nov 20, 2019 12:34 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 26, 2019 1:51 PM in response to Syrcle In response to Syrcle

For all people who is experimenting poor call quality: do you pass the fit test every time?!I’m wondering if there’s a connection between them.

Try to re-pair as per Apple AirPods instruction and try if something improves: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209463

I really hope that a fw update will fix this but I’m really skepcitcal.

Nov 26, 2019 1:51 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Syrcle

Question: AirPod Pro Microphone Call Quality