Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Mojave or High Sierra on a iMac

My iMac was very slow so I decide to format it from a usb dongle containing High sierra and to reinstall the system. I was able to format the hard disk to verify it (disk utility said it is ok) but when I tried to install from my dongle I have the following message : “This copy of the Install macOS High sierra.app application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.”

I know my dongle is Ok because I test it on another computer. I also tried with a Mojave dongle and I have the same message.

Why my imac is not letting me installing a system from a dongle ?? Now my hard disk is empty and I'm stuck. Is it a hardware problem ?

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 6:06 AM

Set the date to about one year ago. I just tried Nov 07 2018, for example. It did not work with year 2008 or with today's date. This is not the first time this issue has occurred over the past years. Remember to disable wifi or any network connection or the date will be readjusted to today's date automatically, breaking the install again.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 6:06 AM in response to cat burlow

Set the date to about one year ago. I just tried Nov 07 2018, for example. It did not work with year 2008 or with today's date. This is not the first time this issue has occurred over the past years. Remember to disable wifi or any network connection or the date will be readjusted to today's date automatically, breaking the install again.

Nov 2, 2019 4:32 PM in response to cat burlow

cat burlow wrote:
Is it a hardware problem ?

It's possible, but there can be a variety of reasons your iMac became slow. Did you try simply using macOS Recovery?

"Damaged" sometimes means the system time and date are so inaccurate the installer's certificate is considered invalid. Boot the system in the same manner as before and set the system real time clock using Terminal. To determine and / or set it use the date command.

Nov 3, 2019 9:39 AM in response to cat burlow

You set the date to March 3, a date in the past. Try setting it to today's date.

I cannot use macOS recovery anymore, the disk is formatted.

Assuming your Mac's hardware is otherwise operational and that its firmware has been kept up to date, macOS Recovery will work even if you were to physically remove its hard disk and replace it with a completely empty one. The Mac's firmware will determine if the startup disk or its Time Machine backup contains a Recovery Partition. If it is damaged or missing it will download the installer from Apple's servers. A viable Internet connection would obviously be required.

Cannot install Mojave or High Sierra on a iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.