Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). I upgraded the fusion drive with a Samsung EVO 860 SSD. Before I place the SSD inside the mac, I connected it to my iMac via a USB cable and installed the latest iOS on the SSD. After mounting, the iOS boots up and it's good. However, when I run the Boot Camp Assistant and press the Continue button, it gives an error saying: "Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem. An internal error has occurred." What should I do? I restarted/shut down multiple times but sill get the error.

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 4:49 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 3, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Tommir

With the assumption that you have completed requisite backups of both macOS and the SSD,

• Boot into Internet Recovery About macOS Recovery - Apple Support
  • Click on Utilities -> Terminal. In the following two commands, I assume SSD is disk0 and EVO is disk1. If that is not the case, change disk0 and disk1 as appropriate using the output of diskutil list command
    • Assuming your SSD is disk0, erase the SSD - diskutil eraseDisk jhfs+ SSD disk0
    • Assuming your EVO is disk1, erase the HDD - diskutil eraseDisk jhfs+ HDD disk1
  • Create the APFS Fusion Container
  • diskutil apfs createContainer -main disk0s2 -secondary disk1s2 (please ensure the SSD is first).
  • Post the output of diskutil apfs list, before we go further. We should let the Installer create volumes, as it sees fit. See Posting Text Output in macOS Recovery Con… - Apple Community for reference.

This is the man page for the command used.

diskutil apfs createContainer
Usage: diskutil apfs createContainer <disk> [<disk>]
diskutil apfs createContainer -main <disk> [-secondary <disk>]
where <disk> = MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode

Create an empty APFS Container. You can then add APFS Volumes with the diskutil apfs addVolume verb. If you specify two disks, then a "Fusion" Container is created, with the performance roles assigned automatically unless you use the -main and -secondary options, in which case, the secondary disk is assumed to be on "slower" hardware which is preferably not solid solid state, usually larger, and often used to store associated "auxiliary" data such as the Windows partition(s) for Boot Camp Assistant.

Ownership of any affected disks is required.
Example: diskutil apfs createContainer disk0s2

Nov 3, 2019 3:49 AM in response to Tommir

• Backup the SSD part
  • Backup the macOS installation via Time Machine
  • Boot into Recovery and rebuild your Fusion drive. It should have the Apple SSD first (-main) and the EVO as second (-secondary).
  • Restore your macOS TM backup
  • Extract files from your SSD backup and put them back in the correct folders on the Fusion drive

Nov 3, 2019 12:04 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the help. On the screenshot I posted, Apple SSD appears on top of the list. I assume, you mean that Apple SSD becomes the main umbrella and under it I add the EVO SSD. Is that right? I am not very technical, I really appreciate if you could kindly guide on how to rebuild the Fusion drive with the new SSD.

Thanks.

Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.