Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem An internal error has occurred."

Hi, I have just installed an OWC 2TB SSD in my Late 2015 27inch iMac. I did a clean install of Catalina and I'm awaiting the Bootcamp set up before I restore my files from Time Machine. I tried to run boot camp and on the first screen where you click continue I get the error: "Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem An internal error has occurred."

I tried to install bootcamp before on my old fusion drive but kept getting errors during the partition portion, hence the upgrade to the SSD.

Based on what other helpers have asked for, I hope all the relevant information is in this screenshot.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 6:05 PM

chipperton wrote:

Is the solution to my problem as simple as following these steps?

Yes, but you may run into a new issue. You now have two SSD disks, not one. The resetFusion seems to barf if it does not see one SSD+one HDD. However, you should try it first, before we go down the manual rebuild path.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 6:05 PM in response to chipperton

chipperton wrote:

Yes, but you may run into a new issue. You now have two SSD disks, not one. The resetFusion seems to barf if it does not see one SSD+one HDD. However, you should try it first, before we go down the manual rebuild path.

Apr 21, 2020 12:54 PM in response to chipperton

diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         2.0 TB     disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +2.0 TB     disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data     18.4 GB    disk1s1

2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 81.7 MB    disk1s2

3:                APFS Volume Recovery                528.1 MB   disk1s3

4:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk1s4

5:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            10.9 GB    disk1s5

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk2

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1

2:                 Apple_APFS                         121.1 GB   disk2s2

Apr 21, 2020 5:07 PM in response to chipperton

chipperton wrote:

Yeah I have the original HDD, I've previously formatted it in an attempt to do a clean install of Catalina, which did not work, so I did a time machine restore and put Mojave with all my files back on.

On the removed HDD or on the internal disk?

So I also have a time machine backup on an external drive. But it is still Mojave and I'd like Catalina, if possible.

I suggest you preserve this backup, till the current issues can be addressed.

I can use an external HDD to make a bootable Catalina installation if that works? Or I have a 64gb sd card if that would work?

We need a 'full' installation of Catalina, not a bootable installer of Catalina. If you use Command+R to bot into Local Recovery, we can re-install Catalina on the SD Card. Once we boot from the SD card Catalina, your internal disks can be erased and the Fusion drive can be rebuilt.

I'd like to do a fresh install of Catalina unless it's too difficult.

It is not. Once the Fusion drive is ready, you can re-install macOS Catalina, as shown in How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Apr 21, 2020 5:32 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:
On the removed HDD or on the internal disk?

That was on the now removed HDD, the current disk (SSD) has only Catalina on it, no personal files.

I suggest you preserve this backup, till the current issues can be addressed.

Will do!

We need a 'full' installation of Catalina, not a bootable installer of Catalina. If you use Command+R to bot into Local Recovery, we can re-install Catalina on the SD Card. Once we boot from the SD card Catalina, your internal disks can be erased and the Fusion drive can be rebuilt.

That makes sense, I think it's starting to come together what needs to be done. I'll get that going right now.

It is not. Once the Fusion drive is ready, you can re-install macOS Catalina, as shown in How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

That's how I installed the current OS, I saw the spinning globe so I believe it downloaded and installed it. Somehow it had my wifi password saved from before.

I just came across this How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2020 3:00 PM in response to chipperton

chipperton wrote:

So I can't run Boot Camp at all on my new SSD?

You can, but not in the current state.

Do I have any options besides a virtual windows to run it on my machine?

Yes, if we rebuild the Fusion drive properly.

Part of the original fusion drive was corrupted and disk utility couldn't repair it.

Fusion drive corruption is not the same as a failed disk. If you replaced the disk, because of Fusion corruption, without establishing the fact that your disk had failed then it was an expensive choice.

Apr 21, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Loner T

I stand corrected. I was under the assumption that the original HDD also had an SSD component built into it which was the fusion disk.

I ran first aid on everything currently installed and it's all ok. The computer ran with the old HDD but it ran poorly and I was unable to install any OS updates and boot camp assistant would not work either.

That is great news that it is possible to run boot camp on the current hardware.

I hate to keep prying but do you mind pointing me toward a tutorial that goes through the process that I need to follow? Currently only the OS is on the SSD so I don't need to backup anything (unless i'm mistaken?).

Thanks for your help!

Apr 21, 2020 4:21 PM in response to chipperton

Do you still have the original HDD? If yes, and it is an external disk enclosure, we can use it as a Time Machine backup disk. If not, then we can wipe the current physical disks in Internet Recovery, rebuild the Fusion drive, install Catalina, and then run BC Assistant to try and install Windows.

It may be a bit easier, if we first create an external bootable Catalina installation on your old HDD or a 64+Gb USB3 disk.

Apr 21, 2020 4:48 PM in response to Loner T

Yeah I have the original HDD, I've previously formatted it in an attempt to do a clean install of Catalina, which did not work, so I did a time machine restore and put Mojave with all my files back on.

So I also have a time machine backup on an external drive. But it is still Mojave and I'd like Catalina, if possible.

I can use an external HDD to make a bootable Catalina installation if that works? Or I have a 64gb sd card if that would work?

I'd like to do a fresh install of Catalina unless it's too difficult.

"Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem An internal error has occurred."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.