Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Message notifications - multiple devices

Often, when someone messages me, I will get the notification on my iPad, but not on my iPhone. This is even when the iPad is sleeping with the cover closed. If I turn the iPad off or into airplane mode, notifications resume on my iPhone, confirming the iPad is the culprit. Any idea how to fix this? All of my notification settings seem correct. Couldn't find this specific issue searching so far.

(To clarify, I still want my Messages synced with my iPad, I just don't want to miss notifications on my iPhone!)

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 4:12 PM

Well, spoke too soon, it's not fixed after all. Just got another text. Notification on my iPad only, not on my iPhone. It's like the iPad is taking priority over my iPhone. I don't get it.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 3, 2019 6:22 AM in response to QuickPost

Thanks. Somehow, under Settings > account > iCloud, Messages was off on both my iPhone and iPad. That seems to have fixed it! Will report back if the problem recurs.

On a side note, I had Message History set to keep messages for 1 year. After turning Messages back on in iCloud, I got a message that said Message History had been changed to keep messages "Forever." That seems like a weasel move on Apple's part to eat up people's iCloud space so they'll by more. I was able to change that back to 1 Year while still keeping Messages on in iCloud.

iOS Message notifications - multiple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.