Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina has locked all non-PDF files on my Desktop, Pages, and Photos

Since the "upgrade," If I try to open a jpg file on my Desktop, Preview gives me an error message like this: The file “imgs325.jpg” couldn’t be opened.

If I try to move that file into a desktop folder or even into the Trash, it won't go. The usual plunking noise happens, but the file hasn't moved.

Also, I cannot highlight and print an item on my Desktop.

Indeed, I cannot open any files in my Desktop folders!--unless they are in PDF. I get an error message.

So, I can't get into my working files, not even to print them.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 6:29 PM

13 replies

Nov 27, 2019 9:11 AM in response to Deborah Bezanis1

Apple has "upgraded" file and folder security, locking down the following User folders: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Mail and Safari cache to "improve" security. This is not working perfectly yet, so we have to wait for a "fix." Both of our MacBook Pros running 10.15.1 are experiencing the same issue. When it occurs, I cannot open or save ANY file to the Desktop, for example. I shut down every night and restart every morning, but the issue happens again randomly.

Catalina has locked all non-PDF files on my Desktop, Pages, and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.