Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV+ Streaming low resolution on PC browser

I've just subscribed to Apple TV+, and it works fine on my iPad, and Mac. However, on my Windows 10 PC, when I tried to watch a TV show through Chrome browser tv.apple.com, the image quality is very low, possibly lower than 720P. I tried watching the same show on Chrome on my Mac connecting to the exact same Wifi, and it works fine.

Does this mean that there's no way I can get a good image quality watching TV+ on a PC at all? or did I set up something wrong?

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 12:10 AM

I have a i7-7700k, GTX 1080 TI, 16GB RAM with Predator X34P monitor, DP cable connected.

I think i'm only getting 720p while I'm streaming on tv.apple.com from a Windows 10 PC.

I tried different browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox) none of them seems to function properly.

Anything you've mention above isn't related to the issue.

Any thoughts on this?

I don't think my computer will slow down to unable to play a 4K video.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 12:10 AM in response to TheLittles

I have a i7-7700k, GTX 1080 TI, 16GB RAM with Predator X34P monitor, DP cable connected.

I think i'm only getting 720p while I'm streaming on tv.apple.com from a Windows 10 PC.

I tried different browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox) none of them seems to function properly.

Anything you've mention above isn't related to the issue.

Any thoughts on this?

I don't think my computer will slow down to unable to play a 4K video.

Nov 21, 2019 7:21 PM in response to Skhizzio

I’m having the same issue, it looks like 480p it’s maxed out at. I’ve tried Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Edge Chromium. I’ve tried the fix posted by Faytle and that didn’t help. I have the Windows 10 HEVC codec installed as well. I have my PC outputting to a 4k HDR capable display via HDMI at 4k60. My cpu is a 6700K and a 980ti video card. Windows 10 is fully up to date, I have the latest Nvidia drivers, my PC is hard wired to the router on a 400 meg connection. I can stream 4k no problem on every other service I have that supports it (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+). This is really a bummer that this doesn’t work because my TV doesn’t support the Apple TV app and neither do my XB1 or PS4. Also, all my HDMI inputs are also taken so getting a streaming device that supports Apple TV wouldn’t really work out, not that I want to spend the money on a streaming device solely for Apple TV+.

Nov 2, 2019 11:25 PM in response to Skhizzio

Skhizzio Said:

———-

If Streaming on a PC, Consider the Following:

• Check for and install updates
  • Have at least 8GB of RAM
  • Have a Quad Core Processor
  • Upgrade the Video Card
  • Try various screen resolution settings
  • Have a HD-Type Monitor
  • Use a HDMI cable on an external Monitor
  • Close non-responding programs (control + alt + delete)
  • Create and try on a new user
  • Pause Security Software
  • Scan PC for junk and Empty Recycle Bin

All computers eventually slow down. So, if it’s old and obsolete, it’s probably not ideal for HD and streaming.

Nov 3, 2019 3:27 AM in response to faytleingods

faytleingods Said:

Any thoughts on this? I don't think my computer will slow down to unable to play a 4K video.

———-

Lift the Priority of iTunes in Task Manager:

I tried running a movie using iTunes on my PC. Something I don’t often do. With everything being all choppy, I lifted the priority level of iTunes (which is done through use of Windows Task Manager).

Now, it plays for me as desired.

The Link I Used: How to Change Process Priorities in Windows Task Manager: 10 Steps.

So try it, and see how it works out.

Nov 3, 2019 7:31 AM in response to faytleingods

As far as I know, Edge Chromium version is still in beta, isn't it? I have tried playing Apple TV+ on Chromium browser, it doesn't even load, and keep flashing on a black screen at the start of a video. My microsoft Edge (default one installed with Windows 10) faced the same issue. Only Chrome can play at the moment, but at a lower resolution than it should.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.