Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to sync my iPhone using Catalina, the iPhone does not show up in the sidebar of the Finder window,

When I try to sync my iPhone using Catalina, the iPhone does not show up in the sidebar of the Finder window,

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 2:24 PM

In Finder>Preferences is the iOS Devices box ticked?

If not please tick it. Then, with your device connected, click it in the finder window and all will become much clearer (assuming it appears)

If it doesn't appear try booting into Safe Mode. Others have reported success by doing this

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 2:24 PM in response to BillGS

In Finder>Preferences is the iOS Devices box ticked?

If not please tick it. Then, with your device connected, click it in the finder window and all will become much clearer (assuming it appears)

If it doesn't appear try booting into Safe Mode. Others have reported success by doing this

Nov 7, 2019 12:34 PM in response to BillGS

Hello, BillGS.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're unable to sync your iPhone with your Mac, which is running macOS Catalina.

First, try the steps listed in the first two sections of the following support article: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If you receive an error message, follow the steps listed here: If you see an error in Finder or iTunes on your computer - Apple Support

I hope this helps! Take care.

Nov 12, 2019 2:10 PM in response to sterling r

With apologies for taking so long to respond, with many thanks. But my Mac using Catalina still does not recognize either my iPhone or my iPad. When I follow the instructions to open System Information using the Option key, they both appear under USB, but not in the finder window, but I still do not know how to sync.

Before Catalina I routinely synched my iPhone and iPad using iTunes without understanding the importance of syncing. Can you shed light on what happens in syncing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.