Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you Chromecast Apple TV+

Apple,

You continue to amaze and mystify. You are trying to gain marketshare with original content for your new AppleTV+ subscription (Free for a year with other purchases, and then just $5/mo), but noticeably absent is support for Chromecast, which has 55M units sold and ~30%+ of marketshare...why do you take a short-sighted view? We're generally Apple users (iPhone and MBPros), but not home devices. I have a free year's subscription that won't be used because you don't support Chromecast. Not smart business!

Please let us know when you start supporting Chromecast and we'll check out your content.

Drew

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 6:04 AM

i share the sentiment - i have apple plus free - but i want to watch it on TV not on my phone.... like a huge % of population i have an android smart tv - for which it seems there will never be an app allowing direct ethernet connected tv... instead i am expeect to plug in a dongle or amazon stick and use wifi....

perhaps failure to sign in and watch will prompt apply to bring out apps so we can use it on other devices without hardward and clambering around the back of the tv swapping out HDMI

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 6:04 AM in response to Ski4Gold

i share the sentiment - i have apple plus free - but i want to watch it on TV not on my phone.... like a huge % of population i have an android smart tv - for which it seems there will never be an app allowing direct ethernet connected tv... instead i am expeect to plug in a dongle or amazon stick and use wifi....

perhaps failure to sign in and watch will prompt apply to bring out apps so we can use it on other devices without hardward and clambering around the back of the tv swapping out HDMI

Nov 3, 2019 7:00 PM in response to Ski4Gold

if they’re serious about getting in to the streaming market then they will need to embrace the ways people consume such content outside the apple ecosystem. Such as chromecasts and native apps on smart TVs. Sure I could watch the content on my phone, iPad or MacBook but I prefer to consume TVs and movies through my actual big screen television. Which I use my phone and a chrome cast to access content. Or the living room home theatre which has a smart tv with native apps for all the other streaming services.

Jan 7, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Ski4Gold

Apple TV + requires airplay in order to stream to other devices. The TV app is also available on other devices. Chromecast does not have a UI and does not run native apps, as well as using a completely different protocol that would be prohibitive to maintaining protection.

This is also a user forum, no one here is from Apple nor will they be reading this. Also, rants are against the TOS for the forum.

Mar 20, 2020 3:38 PM in response to Ski4Gold

You can cast from Google Chrome when you visit tv.apple.com.

In chrome the cast is in the menu below Zoom and Print. Click it so the icon shows up in the menu bar. Right-click the icon and click on "Always show icon" to make it more convenient to get to.

If you see an error regarding "source not supported" you may need to upgrade or restart chrome by entering chrome://restart in the address bar.

It would be nice if the app itself supported it, but this is probably the simplest workaround. Amazon was the same way with Prime Video for years, until they finally allowed casting from the Prime Video app last year on iOS devices.

Can you Chromecast Apple TV+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.