Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio input for voiceover in iMovie 10.1.13 (Catalina 10.15)

I'm trying to record a voiceover for an iMovie in progress. Neither the built-in microphone nor an external one shows any input volume on the little meter to the left of the record button. Yet under System Preferences/Sound, it shows input volume from the microphone. So when I try to record, all I get is silence. My speaker volume is on (high), so it's not an output problem. Why isn't iMovie tapping into the sound that the microphone is registering?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 9:03 PM

I have also had this problem. I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1 with iMovie 10.1.13. No audio at all when trying to do a voice-over in iMovie, even though I had no trouble with the Voice Memos or Garage Band apps.

I finally fixed it by:

1. Open System Preferences
  2. Open Security & Privacy
  3. Click the Privacy button near the top of the window
  4. On the left column, select Microphone
  5. On the right column, check the box next to iMovie

This fixed the problem instantly for me.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2019 9:03 PM in response to Rich839

I have also had this problem. I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1 with iMovie 10.1.13. No audio at all when trying to do a voice-over in iMovie, even though I had no trouble with the Voice Memos or Garage Band apps.

I finally fixed it by:

1. Open System Preferences
  2. Open Security & Privacy
  3. Click the Privacy button near the top of the window
  4. On the left column, select Microphone
  5. On the right column, check the box next to iMovie

This fixed the problem instantly for me.

Nov 4, 2019 9:38 AM in response to rha90272

Since you have tried several procedures without success you might need to wait for future updates to iMovie and Catalina to resolve this issue on your computer system. I seem to recall that there has been one other person who has reported voiceover issues on this forum, but otherwise it does not seem to be a widespread problem.

As a workaround, you can use the Voice Memos app in your Mac's Applications folder to create a voice memo that can be dragged to your desktop from the Voice Memos sidebar. From there you can drag it into iMovie and use it as a voiceover. Not as convenient as the iMovie Voice Over feature, but still pretty easy, and at least you can finish your project.

-- Rich

Nov 3, 2019 6:24 PM in response to rha90272

Check whether the voiceover clip is showing wave forms. If you have an ear phone jack plugged in that might be diconnecting the sound, unplug it. Are other non-voiceover clips playing O.K?

To trouble shoot:

Try recording your voiceover in a different project.

Try deleting preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Now see if you can record a voiceover.

— Rich

Nov 4, 2019 9:09 AM in response to Rich839

Rich - I regret to say that none of your troubleshooting recommendations worked. I have no voice input showing under any conditions (other project, this project).  Earlier today, for another problem, I reloaded a fresh copy of iMovie, so it's current.  The natural sounds recorded with clips show a waveform, and play OK.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.  Thanks.

Nov 4, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Rich839

Rich - I regret to say that none of your troubleshooting recommendations worked. I have no voice input showing under any conditions (other project, this project).  Earlier today, for another problem, I reloaded a fresh copy of iMovie, so it's current.  The natural sounds recorded with clips show a waveform, and play OK.

Nov 4, 2019 9:35 AM in response to Rich839

Nov 11, 2019 7:05 AM in response to miyalung

HI,

No, I haven't tried creating a test user. That's certainly something that you could try. Click on System Preferences/Users and Groups and create the new user account from there.

If you open iMovie in a new user account, and the voiceover works properly, that would mean that there is some conflict in your main user account that is causing the problem.

You could also try opening iMovie in a new library. To do that, open iMovie while holding down just the Option key and selecting the create a new library in the box that appears. iMovie will open in that library. Create a project in it and try the voiceover. See if it works there.

Good luck with this.

-- Rich

Nov 12, 2019 10:52 PM in response to TacoJoe16

Regrettably I have no additional information on this issue. I would have thought that a reinstall would cure it.

If it were a bug I would have expected to have heard more reports on this forum. But maybe the voiceover feature isn’t used that much.

We might have to let this play out for awhile until a solution is found.

— Rich

Nov 13, 2019 8:19 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich / I'm 98% sure this is a software thing / VoiceOver is widely used by the YouTube community (myself included) and I anticipate there will more who have the issue / perhaps there is a hardware piece to this too. My setup...

Catalina 10.15.1

Imovie 10.1.13

Late 2015 Imac / 2.8ghz quad core i5

I also completely wiped the drive when I upgrade to Catalina (no Time Machine image / I restored file by file -and- 0 apps - only re-dowloaded). Going to fire up voice memo tonight :|

No audio input for voiceover in iMovie 10.1.13 (Catalina 10.15)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.