Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie voice over does not work

Hi there,

I can't make my IMovie to record a voice over and I believe I have tried it all! Help!

There is no issue with the built-in microphone (it's working with another software).

I have selected the "system setting" on input source (and built-in microphone too), I have cleared the preferences (holding control+command), I have re-downloaded IMovie, upgraded to Big Sur and downloaded IMovie again, but still, the green dots that should "light up" when I'm talking do not move. Then the audio file is mute when I press play.

Thank you, I appreciate any help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 10:10 AM

Hi, Gabbi_vieira,

Try going to System Preferences/Secruity & Privacy/Privacy and, in the preference box click on Microphone in the left sidebar. Then in the right hand pane add iMovie by checking the box next to the iMovie icon. You'll need first to click the little lock symbol at the bottom of the screen and sign in to make changes.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 10:10 AM in response to Gabi_vieira

Hi, Gabbi_vieira,

Try going to System Preferences/Secruity & Privacy/Privacy and, in the preference box click on Microphone in the left sidebar. Then in the right hand pane add iMovie by checking the box next to the iMovie icon. You'll need first to click the little lock symbol at the bottom of the screen and sign in to make changes.

-- Rich

IMovie voice over does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.