Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie: Why can't I hear my Microphone until after I recorded my voice?

I have I mic plugged in to a PreAmp and going "Line In" to the Input on my Laptop,

I can see that there is audio coming in cause when I hit the Microphone icon to start the Voice over, The meter is moving to my voice.

When I start to record the voice over, I can hear the music track but not my voice until I listen back to what I recorded.

Dose anyone have a clue of how to fix this problem?

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 6:18 PM

That's the way it works when you use the built in microphone. I don't know if it is supposed to be any different with an external mic. What would be the advantage in being able to hear your voice while recording a voice over? Is it for singing purposes? Just curious.

In any event try checking your input and output sound settings in System Preferences/Sound. Also check your settings by clicking on the little slider emblem to the right of the red recording button.

See if any of the above addresses the issue you raised. I suspect that being unable to hear one's voice while recording probably is just the way the voice over software is designed.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 6:18 PM in response to BoTown

That's the way it works when you use the built in microphone. I don't know if it is supposed to be any different with an external mic. What would be the advantage in being able to hear your voice while recording a voice over? Is it for singing purposes? Just curious.

In any event try checking your input and output sound settings in System Preferences/Sound. Also check your settings by clicking on the little slider emblem to the right of the red recording button.

See if any of the above addresses the issue you raised. I suspect that being unable to hear one's voice while recording probably is just the way the voice over software is designed.

-- Rich

Apr 6, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Rich839

It only works when I use an audio interface and select that on the input Source.

The reason I use an external preamp is that I use some nice compressor and limiter for better sound before I go Line In to the computer.

iMove doesn't seem to be able to use audio plugins to put effects on the voice, dose it?

I saw that there is a little list to modify the low & Hi and cut off but they don't sound that good.

Thanks for trying.

iMovie: Why can't I hear my Microphone until after I recorded my voice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.