Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2012 (with bad graphics card) as display for new Mac Mini AND...

My 27" iMac "late 2012" appears to have a bad graphics card. The screen often flickers with varied black and white patterns. Often it is with certain browsers and I just found it gets busy with Notes.

Values of this iMac aren't very high.

A few questions.

1 - Any idea what cost of having apple replace the card might be? Worth it?

2 - Can I use this iMac as a display for a new Mac Mini as I'm assuming that the Mini's graphics card would be the one being used. AND I also have an old Apple 20" Cinema Display. Can That be used? It doesn't have Thunderbolt.

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 10:36 AM

No one can accurately answer those questions. Why because,

1. It is highly unlikely that anyone here, has tried using a 2012 iMac with a suspected failing graphic's chip in TDM.
  2. No one here, know for sure if the 2012 iMac has a failing graphic's chip, a failing display or other hardware issue.

Personally,

1. I would not rely on the 2012 iMac to work long term as a display for a Mac Mini or any other Mac.
  2. I would also think about selling the old Cinema Display, while I could still get something for it.

At this point, I would encourage you to either,

1. buy a new Mac Mini and a decent Display or Displays (if you want dual display)
  2. buy a new iMac and a decent Display (if you want dual display)

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 10:36 AM in response to JeffT

No one can accurately answer those questions. Why because,

1. It is highly unlikely that anyone here, has tried using a 2012 iMac with a suspected failing graphic's chip in TDM.
  2. No one here, know for sure if the 2012 iMac has a failing graphic's chip, a failing display or other hardware issue.

Personally,

1. I would not rely on the 2012 iMac to work long term as a display for a Mac Mini or any other Mac.
  2. I would also think about selling the old Cinema Display, while I could still get something for it.

At this point, I would encourage you to either,

1. buy a new Mac Mini and a decent Display or Displays (if you want dual display)
  2. buy a new iMac and a decent Display (if you want dual display)

Nov 4, 2019 2:31 PM in response to JeffT

Although you could probably find someone to replace the graphics card in your 2012 iMac, the cost would likely be comparable to an external display once the parts and labor costs are factored in. My personal choice would be to buy a new display.

Which 20-inch Apple Cinema Display do you have? If you have the aluminum enclosure then you should be able to buy an HDMI to DVI adapter to use it with your Mac Mini. The earlier clear plastic version of the Cinema Display uses an ADC connector that also supplies power to the display. I am not aware any adapters for that model.

Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter

Nov 6, 2019 9:53 AM in response to JeffT

Still looking for an answer.

ProbsRus response was helpful but didn't address my main question.

• I have an 27" iMac, 2012 with a failing graphics card.
  • The failing iMac doesn't seem worth repairing considering the cost and its current value. Cost more to repair than is worth.
  • I am considering getting a new Mac Mini INSTEAD of a new iMac because I have a usable 20" Cinema Display with aluminum frame which would make a fine display…
  • MY MAIN QUESTION IS: can I use the 27" iMac with the failing graphics card as a display as well, WITHOUT any repair? I'm assuming a Mac Mini might bypass the failing graphics card.
  • HOW?

Thank you.

Nov 4, 2019 5:14 PM in response to ProbsRus

Thank you for the reply and it is helpful but it appears that I wasn't completely clear on the fact that I do not have a Mac Mini but was considering getting one as a replacement for the failing iMac. I wondered if I could use the iMac with the likely failing graphics card as a display for an as of yet to be purchased Mac Mini.

In regard to the display, yes the OTHER display, it IS the aluminum one. And it happens that I also have the even older clear plastic one too.

Coincidentally enough, I also have a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter as I had originally planned to connect the aluminum Cinema Display to the iMac, before it started to fail of course.

Assuming the Mac Mini's Thunderbolt hasn't changed then this could connect the older Cinema Display to it.

But my revised question is, will I be able to connect the failing iMac to a Mac Mini as a display only, again assuming that a Mac Mini's graphics card will bypass the failing inner workings of the iMac. OR should I just consider the iMac toast and sell it on eBay?

Thanks again.

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2019 10:59 AM in response to JeffT

To get this part of your query off the table: A Late 2012 iMac has no "graphics card." All the video hardware components are integral and soldered to the logic board. New gfx hardware = new logic board = major expense. It will not work without repair.

Please look on the back of the Cinema Display and post its model number. (will be "M000" or "A000" format). The model name "Cinema Display was used from 2002 to about 2016 and there are several versions but we are guessing at whether it could work without having a model number.

I agree with the others--get a regular external monitor for the Mini.

Nov 6, 2019 11:35 AM in response to JeffT

Thanks. There are two A1081 monitors but only one was still made in 2009, so we that one pinned down. Specs show it has only a DVI connector for video-in.

The problem you may encounter is that movies and other DRM-protected content may not work on such an old monitor. I will quickly admit that my base knowledge of external video hardware is just above the "padawan" level so hope that one of my more enlightened colleagues can add their thoughts on this particular monitor model.

Nov 6, 2019 11:47 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan.

I had a mini display to dvi adapter connector because I had planned to connect it to my iMac which we now know just ain't happening?

DRM aside, a DVI to to HDMI adapter as was suggested in a previous response could work.

A second display anyway is now in my future.

sigh... there are so many of them to choose from.

Thanks to everyone for the education.

iMac 2012 (with bad graphics card) as display for new Mac Mini AND...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.