Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.2 Mail App Deletes Inbox Messages

So - I’ve been experiencing this strange bug with the Mail app since iOS 13 was released and I’m wondering if it’s happened to anyone else. When I’m in my Junk folder, I tap Edit, Select All, Delete, then Delete All- and nothing seems to happen. All of my Junk messages are still there. When I go to my Inbox, however, all of my Inbox messages have been deleted.

This problem occurs intermittently - but it just happened to me for the fourth time. Has anyone else seen this?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 9:09 PM

It’s still happening for me, also, and I’m also always on the most recent version.

someone mentioned that if you select all > move, you can see that when it’s truly the junk mail, “junk” is grayed out and is not an option for the move.

So, as a workaround, I’ve been doing this : select all > move > trash, as long as “Junk” is grayed out.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2020 9:09 PM in response to rhi79

It’s still happening for me, also, and I’m also always on the most recent version.

someone mentioned that if you select all > move, you can see that when it’s truly the junk mail, “junk” is grayed out and is not an option for the move.

So, as a workaround, I’ve been doing this : select all > move > trash, as long as “Junk” is grayed out.

Dec 12, 2019 10:23 AM in response to Vixyswillie

I’m glad I now know it is not just me. The first time it happened I figured somehow I went into my Inbox by accident and deleted everything, which I have never done prior. This time, after spending about 4 hours bringing back my deleted Inbox emails I confirmed I was in my Junk Mail. The phone blipped, junk mail was still there, and my Inbox was completely empty. Apple needs to fix this ASAP!

Dec 12, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Mdlupinacci

Mdlupinacci wrote:

I’m glad I now know it is not just me. The first time it happened I figured somehow I went into my Inbox by accident and deleted everything, which I have never done prior. This time, after spending about 4 hours bringing back my deleted Inbox emails I confirmed I was in my Junk Mail. The phone blipped, junk mail was still there, and my Inbox was completely empty. Apple needs to fix this ASAP!

If, like the original poster, your running iOS 13.2, your several versions behind and should update to iOS 13.3. If you're using iOS 13.3, you should consider starting your own thread.

Dec 12, 2019 11:23 AM in response to Mdlupinacci

Mdlupinacci wrote:

I just updated to 13.3. I don’t believe that addressed the issue. When I go into my junk mail and select one of the emails to delete, one of the options it gives me is to move to junk mail. The app must be confused and thinks I’m in my inbox. So if I go and do a delete all, I’m afraid it will delete my inbox again.

Then I'd recommend you start your own thread. It will likely get more eyes on it from people who can help than one with a subject line about an older version of iOS. This one will just keep getting "Me, too" posts at this point.

Dec 12, 2019 12:03 PM in response to Mdlupinacci

Something else I just discovered as well. If I go into a junk email and go to my options, it says I can move to Junk. When I move it and then go back in again, it says Mark as Not Junk as an option now. This would be the behavior I’d expect the first time I go into a junk mail. For whatever reason, I don’t think it believes I’m in the junk mail folder. It thinks I’m in the inbox folder.

Jan 2, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Vixyswillie

This is also happening to me. not all the time, but just happened again this AM - selected all the junk mail to be deleted, and when I hit delete, all of the Inbox was deleted. (All of the junk remained as was, only the inbox was deleted). This doesn’t happen all the time, but when it does, it S*&^.

Details - using apple email on IPad - and versions all updated to latest (13.3). Mail is setup as IMAP accounts.

Jan 2, 2020 9:09 AM in response to RakesPix

Agreed. It happened again to me just a couple days ago. I thought it had been solved with the latest update, but it’s still happening. I’ve gotten myself in the habit now of emptying my Trash folder after each purge of my Junk folder. At least then I don’t have to rummage through scores of old trashed messages to retrieve my Inbox messages when this problem recurs!

Jan 25, 2020 8:32 PM in response to cmmiles

The issue is definitely still there. When I go into my junk mail on my iPhone and go to options for that email, one of them is to move into junk mail, which I am already in. Looks like it still thinks that is the Inbox, so I am afraid to even try to do a delete all because I am pretty sure it will erase my Inbox again. Apple - Why are you not addressing this with a fix?

Feb 27, 2020 4:25 AM in response to xcamelx

So - I just tried your idea because it sounded intriguing. I had 12 junk messages in my Junk folder, selected all of them, went to Move them to Trash (confirmed that the Junk folder was grayed out), and all of my junk messages got copied to my Trash folder - along with all of my Inbox messages. GRR!

My strategy lately has been to flag all of my Inbox messages to make them easier to pick out of my Trash when they get inadvertently moved there by this issue. I can’t seem to predict or rely on anything. Very frustrating at this point.

iOS 13.2 Mail App Deletes Inbox Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.