Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting HDV tapes to best archiving files in FCP X?

I have some 25 HDV (aka Mini-DV) tapes which I wish to convert to a modern format.

I need something that will preserve the original quality as much as possible whilst producing the smallest file sizes.

There are a number of considerations concerning the type of project the footage is put into:-

1. HDV is 1440x1080 and relies on the playback device recognising that it needs "stretching" to 1920x1080. So would it be better putting the footage into 1920x1080 project so that every pixel is accounted for and there will be no chance that a player would give a "squashed" image?
  2. The HDV footage is interlaced 25fps which is more or less obsolete. Would it be preferable to use a 25p project even though there may be a slight reduction in resolution? (In other words, put the imported footage into a 1920x1080p25 project?)

Next is the problem of deciding on a sharing format. FCP X gives the following possibilities for creating a 1080p Master File.

a. Video and Audio. . . . which creates a .mov file of 9.0GB per hour.

b. Apple Devices . . . producing a .m4v file of 4.6GB

c. Computer . . . generates an .mp4 of 9.1GB

d. Web Hosting . . . another .mov of 6.8GB

I believe that .mp4 may be the most universally playable but it also produces the largest file sizes.

The Apple Devices option creates the smallest files but is .m4v which I suspect may be playable on fewer devices (as with the .mov files).

Which mastering option would be the best or could an even better one be created in Compressor?

Note that none of my tapes contain fast movement so a high bit rate should not be necessary.

I need the videos to be as "future-proofed" as possible and not reliant solely on Apple playback devices, whilst retaining as much of the original information commensurate with small file sizes.

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 5:06 PM

I suppose you need to figure out what devices the footage will be displayed on.

If it like here in Oz it will No. 1 phones or tablets, No. 2 Smart TV with USB playback ability.

For HDV I would run for ProRes LT as Tom suggested.

If your family decides to get into edit mode, it is a good starting point.

For playback on popular devices, some form of MP4 works well.

You have to figure out the "sweet spot" for size verses quality.

I use Compressor with a data rate of around 2500-3500 kbps. Around a gig per hour.

And 25P is fine.

Al

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 5:06 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

I suppose you need to figure out what devices the footage will be displayed on.

If it like here in Oz it will No. 1 phones or tablets, No. 2 Smart TV with USB playback ability.

For HDV I would run for ProRes LT as Tom suggested.

If your family decides to get into edit mode, it is a good starting point.

For playback on popular devices, some form of MP4 works well.

You have to figure out the "sweet spot" for size verses quality.

I use Compressor with a data rate of around 2500-3500 kbps. Around a gig per hour.

And 25P is fine.

Al

Nov 5, 2019 8:14 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. I will bear it in mind but I really wanted a delivery format for when I'm not around! My family and friends are not Mac users and have few or no editing skills, so I want to keep things as simple as possible whilst giving them something they could fiddle around with should they ever feel the need.

A bit of research has suggested that .m4v can be "converted" to .mp4 by simply changing the suffix.

The "Apple Devices" preset seems to produce results indistinguishable from "Computer" on close inspection even though the bit rate is half as much (10Mb/sec).

Also putting the HDV into a native 1440x1080i project rather than a 1920x1080p one seems to create a similar quality 1920x1080p file when processed with the Apple Devices preset.

Is this correct?

Nov 6, 2019 1:09 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom and Al.

As most of the films in question are of the "baby on lawn" type, I can't envisage in my wildest dreams, anyone contemplating doing any editing other than cutting out bits!

Under those circumstances I think I will stick with Apple Devices at 10Mb/s which gives quality almost indistinguishable from the original tapes, together with smaller copies at say 720p and 360p. Luckily there are not vast numbers of tapes involved.

Converting HDV tapes to best archiving files in FCP X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.