Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exploit/ransomware

I recently received an email (not my icloud email), from 'Recorded You', stating that my operating system had been compromised 'see exploit/driveby kits' because my protection wasn't updated. Then I have your password, which was not a complete or current password. Followed by the you must download bitcoin and pay me $900 or I will release all your personal information to the dark web. How concerned do I need to be? Can my iphone XR and/or ipad be compromised/hacked? How can I tell if I have been hacked?

Using various apps (from App Store), I have accidently clicked links with my new iPhone.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 9:06 AM

It's a scam. In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2019 9:06 AM in response to iPhonedummbee

It's a scam. In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

Nov 5, 2019 9:32 AM in response to iPhonedummbee

These bitcoin ransom-ware scams are mass emailed to millions of emails every day. They typically got your email address off the web, or a hacked site. If the password they quote is not current or complete, you have no worries, and having a web site password wouldn’t allow them to do anything to any of your device’s operating systems anyway.

Unfortunately, they are common though and clutter up inboxes. When Sony was hacked, a year or so later my yahoo email was getting one or more a day - my password was not the one they got from the site hack as I’d changed it anyway, but they were annoying as yahoo’s spam filtering is pathetic (I deleted that account long ago now so not an issue).

If you don’t actually use bitcoin or give a wit about it, and your email account or client offers it, make a global rule that any message with the word “bitcoin” anywhere in it just goes to trash.

Exploit/ransomware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.