Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal speakers disabled when plugged into external monitor

When I plug my laptop into my external monitor, the audio output automatically switches to the monitor. When I then go back into my audio menu and switch my output device to "internal speakers", there's no volume. I've verified that the internal speakers are not muted and volume is maxed. When I switch output to the external monitor, it works normally again.

I want to be able to use the internal speakers in order to maintain keyboard control of volume and muting.

Hardware:

2017 MacBook Pro running OS 10.14.6

Anker USB-C hub

HDMI cable

Vizio TV

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Nov 5, 2019 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 11:50 AM

Hello AZPB,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you hear no sound from the internal speakers on your MacBook Pro when it's connected to your Vizio TV. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Do you have headphones or external speakers connected to either the Mac or TV? If so, does the same behavior occur when they are disconnected? I'd also like to have you test if the issue still occurs after resetting the NVRAM on your Mac, or when using another user account:

If there's no change after trying those steps, or after following the suggestions in Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don't make sound - Apple Support, I suggest reaching out to Apple Support using the contact link at the bottom of that page.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 11:50 AM in response to AZPB

Hello AZPB,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you hear no sound from the internal speakers on your MacBook Pro when it's connected to your Vizio TV. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Do you have headphones or external speakers connected to either the Mac or TV? If so, does the same behavior occur when they are disconnected? I'd also like to have you test if the issue still occurs after resetting the NVRAM on your Mac, or when using another user account:

If there's no change after trying those steps, or after following the suggestions in Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don't make sound - Apple Support, I suggest reaching out to Apple Support using the contact link at the bottom of that page.

Take care.

Internal speakers disabled when plugged into external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.