Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost playlist and music during upgrade to Catalina how to restore.

I have a hard back up (not time machine) of my music library but the only way it imports ALL my songs is for me to choose that library on the separate hard drive?

If I try to copy the items over I lose my playlists AND about 1,000 songs?

Suggestions?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 10:28 AM

At a guess your library might not be in a portable shape (iTunes folder containing an iTunes Library.itl file and an iTunes Media folder that contains all media) so it works on the original path, but not when copied.

Choose the old .itl file on the external drive, save the new Music library as ~/Music/Music (you might want to delete whatever is there first), then under Music > Preferences > Files reset the media folder so it points at ~/Music/Music/Media and finally use File > Library > Organize File to Consolidate and Rearrange if not greyed out.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 10:28 AM in response to Rlhenshaw

At a guess your library might not be in a portable shape (iTunes folder containing an iTunes Library.itl file and an iTunes Media folder that contains all media) so it works on the original path, but not when copied.

Choose the old .itl file on the external drive, save the new Music library as ~/Music/Music (you might want to delete whatever is there first), then under Music > Preferences > Files reset the media folder so it points at ~/Music/Music/Media and finally use File > Library > Organize File to Consolidate and Rearrange if not greyed out.

tt2

lost playlist and music during upgrade to Catalina how to restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.