Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot open any documents in Excel or Word after Catalina update. Help!

Both versions of Word and Excel are 16.16.15 and we working fine before the upgrade. Now when I try to open any saved documents it simply says they cannot be opened.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 7:49 AM

That 16.16.15 is the current (October 15th, 2019) version of Microsoft Office 2016, and reportedly should work on Catalina.

Boot into Safe Mode and try again, on the off chance some add-on apps are getting in the way.

If that fails, try removing and re-installing Microsoft Office 2016.

If Safe Mode does work, we'll need to sort through what add-on apps are present here that might be blocking this.

If both Safe Mode and re-install don't work, you'll want to contact the app vendor—the folks Microsoft Support—for assistance with Office.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2019 7:49 AM in response to PReyes1972

That 16.16.15 is the current (October 15th, 2019) version of Microsoft Office 2016, and reportedly should work on Catalina.

Boot into Safe Mode and try again, on the off chance some add-on apps are getting in the way.

If that fails, try removing and re-installing Microsoft Office 2016.

If Safe Mode does work, we'll need to sort through what add-on apps are present here that might be blocking this.

If both Safe Mode and re-install don't work, you'll want to contact the app vendor—the folks Microsoft Support—for assistance with Office.

I cannot open any documents in Excel or Word after Catalina update. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.