Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I stop softwareupdate process?

I am on limited bandwidth and accidentally started a software update, which was going to use over 4 gigs of data. I tried to force quit the process in Activity Monitor, but it continued to go. I had to shut down my computer to get it to stop. And I 'm concerned while I'm away it will start up again and use up my limited data bandwidth.

How do I stop this process? Any ideas?

Thank you

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 8:32 AM

HI Buffsters,

If you go to Software Update in System Preferences there should be a way to stop an update. If you move your cursor to the end of the progress bar for an update, an X will appear where you can cancel it.

See screenshot

I hope this helps.

9 replies

Nov 16, 2019 10:45 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Maybe I wasn't clear. When a software update happens, it is downloading data in the form of the new software onto my computer. As you know, Mac OS updates are quite large. I have a limit of 20 gigs a month on my satellite internet data plan, so 4 or more gigs is a significant portion of my monthly data allowance. I accidentally started the download and had no way of stopping it. This is the dilemma. Still unsolved.

Nov 16, 2019 10:51 AM in response to Soren Pearson

Thanks for your response. On the latest Catalina update, this window you screenshot disappeared, nowhere to be found. When I went to Software Update it went through the process of determining I didn't have the most recent OS, and asked again if I wanted to download and update it. But it was clearly already running because I have a data use meter that was quickly downloading the large update. I tried to stop the process in Activity Monitor, but it wouldn't stop. I shut off my computer, turned it back on, and it appeared to stop, but when I returned home later in the day it had completed the download.

It seems, once you start the downloads now, there is no way to stop them.

how do I stop softwareupdate process?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.